What’s going on with my green beans?

Greasy10pin

Sprout
Reaction score
Planted tendergreen improved bush beans, first leaves mostly have spots and some of those leaves have died completely, new growth looks good at first but some of the new growth wilts and dies off with spots on some of them, first year garden in central Wisconsin, attaching pictures so you can hopefully let me know what this is and can be done if anything. TYIA!

Attachments

• IMG_4497.jpeg
    IMG_4497.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4498.jpeg
    IMG_4498.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4499.jpeg
    IMG_4499.jpeg
    290.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4500.jpeg
    IMG_4500.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4501.jpeg
    IMG_4501.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4495.jpeg
    IMG_4495.jpeg
    216.3 KB · Views: 62

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted tendergreen improved bush beans, first leaves mostly have spots and some of those leaves have died completely, new growth looks good at first but some of the new growth wilts and dies off with spots on some of them, first year garden in central Wisconsin, attaching pictures so you can hopefully let me know what this is and can be done if anything. TYIA!
Are your bean plants getting enough water. I don't mean a flood when you water them but maybe an inch to inch and a half every 4 to 6 days. Regularity in watering.

I've seen a little of this in mine too. This weather this year in the midwest is a beast. Dry, Dry, Dry.

Greasy10pin

Sprout
Reaction score
I’m hoping I’ve given them enough water although it’s my first year so I’m not sure, watered them this morning before work and when I got back a lot of the leaves looked worse

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That looks to me like heat and/or dehydration stress. Some of my beans developed leaves like that when I threw some horticultural fleece over top of them to keep flies off. I didn't realize it would get so hot underneath, and when I pulled the sheet of at the end of the day they had those wee brown patches on the leaves as your photo shows. Like @Bluejay77 mentioned, you guys are getting seriously hot weather, even here in Canada we're burning up. A few of the new little leaves on one of my pole bean varieties are occasionally dying off too. I think it's just stress from the super high heat. Hopefully things will cool off soon!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the combination of heat and moisture and if this is a new garden that was recently turned under there may be a lot of organic material decomposing and that can cause root rot issues if you've been watering too much.

once the plants are up and growing ease off on watering often and instead water every two or three days (but do make sure to water enough). this will also encourage the plants to develop a deeper root system instead of having such an easy life with the roots nearer to the surface (where heat and dry spells can end up doing them in).

we've had some rains here and the gardens are really popping now (including the bean plants). every here or there a plant will just wilt and die off. sometimes it is animal or insect damage but i think most of it is the too shallow root system problem mentioned above in combination with the heat and wind causing too much demand on the shallow root system.

now that everything has had a few inches of water i'm letting them strive downwards with those roots so today they will not get watered and tomorrow night and Thursday there are chances of rain so i won't water them tomorrow either. 90-91F both days then a break on Thu-Sun so we'll take it and see how it goes.

donna13350

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I’m hoping I’ve given them enough water although it’s my first year so I’m not sure, watered them this morning before work and when I got back a lot of the leaves looked worse
When unsure if they need water, just stick your finger into the soil near your plant. If it's dry, water. If still unsure, dig down a couple of inches and grab a golf ball sized amount of soil...squeeze it...if it crumbles it's too dry, if it sticks together, it's moist enough.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most of the new leaves look OK. I notice this in some of my beans nearly every year, always at about that stage of growth... it appears to be excessive drying due to insufficient water intake (and the heat doesn't help). IMO that is because the new seedlings have a very small, shallow root system initially. As the root system grows deeper, the water uptake increases, and the browning should disappear.

Potted plants & those in raised beds seem to be more susceptible. The intense heat many are having now exacerbates water uptake issues; I had to water my potted pole beans today due to the heat, even after some rain last night.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Most of the new leaves look OK. I notice this in some of my beans nearly every year, always at about that stage of growth... it appears to be excessive drying due to insufficient water intake (and the heat doesn't help). IMO that is because the new seedlings have a very small, shallow root system initially. As the root system grows deeper, the water uptake increases, and the browning should disappear.

Potted plants & those in raised beds seem to be more susceptible. The intense heat many are having now exacerbates water uptake issues; I had to water my potted pole beans today due to the heat, even after some rain last night.
Ever used a translucent sheet over veggies in the heat?

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ever used a translucent sheet over veggies in the heat?
Yes. I grow peppers under cages covered with spun polyester row cover to exclude pollinators, then open the downwind side to allow insect predators, leaving the top & 3 sides covered all season. The peppers really thrive under the light covers, greatly out-producing those grown in the open. I'll try to post a photo of how those peppers look now (but not on this thread).

I cover young squash plants with floating row cover too (to protect from SVB and usually the first squash bug hatch) and they too thrive under cover. If I spaced bush squash more widely, I could even have total control of pollination, and I'm sure the squash would be fine... but that would only be practical for winter squash. I can't imagine hand-pollinating zucchini all summer. :th

I've tried covering bush beans & tomatoes too; but the increased humidity & reduced air flow caused severe foliar disease. When the cover was removed, the plants recovered... as in getting healthier, not pulling the cover back on. :rolleyes: For me, covering them would not be worth the trouble anyway, since both plants tend to get stronger on their own with time.

IMO for beans, it is more important to cover the ground beneath them - to prevent mud splash, and keep the roots cool & moist - than to cover them from above.

Latest posts