What about dogs?

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have trouble with our two dogs laying in the flower beds, on the cool soil. I havnt planted them yet, and I am going to do mostly annuals from seed. Is there anything I can use to make the dogs want to sleep elsewhere?

I am thinking something like a homemade repellent or something. I already have put in a short fence to keep the chickens out untill the plants are bigger, but the dogs just hop over it.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh my dog is known for this behavior... along with digging huge gaping holes when she's done lounging.

A lot of people will suggest fencing... that is what I will suggest first and foremost as dogs are STUBBORN!

I have a seperate area for my dog, but she gets in my beds more so then even my chickens. I lay mulch over her space and give her a dog house. She lays NEXT to the dog house more so then in it. But keeping the mulch down and watered occasionally keeps it cool where the mulch is because it keeps the moisture in like a flower bed would.

Just a suggestion.

(hint..........fence........... :lol: )

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried making a habenero sauce, blended dried habeneroes with water, and sprinkled it on tulips to try to keep the deer away. My dog loved it so much she rolled in it. Boy was she excited.

I agree, a taller fence.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My dog drives me NUTS doing this!! I take pointy rocks and stick them in the bed with the pointy parts sticking up. That works pretty well, but I also don't mind the look of the rocks in my beds. Might not be so appealing to everyone. :D

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The fencing really isnt an option... our dogs are loose, and they keep our animals safe. And we cant fence the flowerbed any better then it is, because they are little beds.

The rocks are probably the next thing I will try... i like that look too.

Has anyone used the bitter apple spray, or any of the sprays you can buy from places like Gardens Alive?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
warmfuzzies said:
The fencing really isnt an option... our dogs are loose, and they keep our animals safe. And we cant fence the flowerbed any better then it is, because they are little beds.

Has anyone used the bitter apple spray, or any of the sprays you can buy from places like Gardens Alive?
Forget those sprays... my dog just licks them. We tried hot pepper too... she just licks that too....

She is unbelievably STUBBORN!

(Maybe an underground zap fence!? LOL )

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
warmfuzzies said:

All my dogs are loose too... and all of my garden beds have little cages or fences around them if I want piece of mind....

You can fence a 1x1 foot plot if necessary, just use concrete reinforcement wire, welded wire or equivalent.

Repellents only repel your checking account balance after wasting $$$ on them, you need a physical deterrent...

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a dog that totally loves to lay and dig in any cool, damp, or open areas in the yard, too. I hate that so much. However, over the years, it just begins to seem to be part of being a gardener with a dog. I have tried all the above mentioned suggestions numerous times.

I have had limited success using left over hardware cloth or chicken wire scraps and extra tomato cages. I lay them wherever George likes to dig, or where I worry he might damage. He leaves those places alone because he can't get good access or hates the feel of the hardware cloth. When the plants are big enough, I sometimes remove the material. However, some plants do fine growing up through them and it isn't usually that noticeable when the plants are big.

I am afraid to put pointy things sticking out because my kids use the same space. I worry the kids would be seriously hurt if they accidentally if they fell on them while playing in the yard.

Latest posts