What are "fall crops" ?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's not too late for a fall lettuce crop for you. Swiss chard if you don't already have it going. Radishes, in a cool location.

Probably others too, dunno.

Good luck and have fun,

Pat, who come to think of it REALLY needs to get her fall lettuce started.

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
It's not too late for a fall lettuce crop for you. Swiss chard if you don't already have it going. Radishes, in a cool location.

Probably others too, dunno.

Good luck and have fun,

Pat, who come to think of it REALLY needs to get her fall lettuce started.
Thanx Pat, how bout cabbage crops....brussels, brcoccoli and the like ?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Do you think a Fall Lettuce and Radish crop would work in the south at all? I'm sure I'm Zone 7, NC.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm in zone 8b, although because of the amounts of blacktop, concrete and high rises it gets a bit warmer in the late season, and we really can't start fall crops until mid-October.

Broccoli, Cabbages, Cauliflower, Radishes, Lettuces, Carrots (which should be started when the soil is still warm, like 85 degrees) and Peas can all be planted in the fall. Some cultivars of Broccoli, Cabbages and Cauliflower can even withstand a light frost without a problem.

The best way to determine when to plant your fall crops is to look up or find or ask some local the first expected frost date, locate your crops maturity date and from the first expected frost date count backwards. Add 2-3 weeks for that and then you have your 'window of opportunity'.

Good luck

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I planted more snow peas, carrots, spinach, and cauliflower. I found a great calendar from our extension (Purdue) which tells what does well in the fall in my area & gives a range of dates to plant them. It takes some of the guesswork out of deciding what & when to plant. Maybe other extensions have similar info.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
dont forget brussel sprouts! We used to be out in the snow cutting them off, the love the cooler weather. dont know when they should be started though.

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanx all , y'all made me decide to go for it. Problem is..i can't find any plants at any of our local greenhouses. :(

ml

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am in zone 6 so planting

Beets
Turnips
Spinach
Swiss chard
Rape seeds for the peeps

Kale

maybe will start some cole crops in the basement and some lettuce.

ML

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
janetnjim said:
Thanx all , y'all made me decide to go for it. Problem is..i can't find any plants at any of our local greenhouses. :(
I've NEVER found seedlings at local greenhouses. Guess too few people do fall crops, so it's not profitable. Only this year did I see early spring seedlings out. I always start from seed, or start seedlings in the house for the brassicas.

Latest posts