What are the best tomatoes you have ever grown?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Collector said:
thistlebloom said:
The best tomatoes I have ever grown are whichever ones I have in the garden that are actually going to get ripe for me. I'm not too picky :) .
Im with thistle, the ones I am growing right now will be great if We dont have a disaster of some sort!
Me, too! I'm gonna come back to this thread when I'm ready to start seeds indoors next winter.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HotPepperQueen said:
How old was your seed? I have a bunch of tomato seeds left over from this year and i've been storing them in an airtight container in my dark storage room.
sparkles2307 said:
Striped Roman and Cuor di Bue are our favorites and do really well for us. I used old seed for my striped romans this year and only have 2 plants with a very few fruits... I'll be saving seed this year.
2 years old, my own fault.

hiker125

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hangn'- where did you find the seed for Terrific?

I have got to try something new next year. Last year was Cherokee Purple, which tasted great, but not very productive. This year is Black Krim and something is eating it before it gets ripe. We are in a severe drought and I am sure that hasn't helped this year a bit.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
How do u know when black tOmatoes ripe? First year for me

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
sparkles2307 said:
seedcorn said:
I pick them when they feel soft enough...
Yeah... they'll still have green shoulders when they're ready.

strantor

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I don't know because I've never successfully grown a single tomato, but a guy from my electronics forum was encouraging me to grow some Tasti-lee tomatoes. he said they were the best ever. I never tasted them.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem said:
sparkles2307 said:
seedcorn said:
I pick them when they feel soft enough...
Yeah... they'll still have green shoulders when they're ready.
Ate my first one today. Tastes like a cherry tomato but meaty. Really impressed but look bad

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow! Lots of different varieties. I ate my first Black Cherry tomato today and it tasted like candy. I will definitely be growing these again. Some of my customers that planted their Brandywine Pinks and Black Krims in raised beds said they have loved the fruit off of them and will never go back to a hybrid tomato again.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
HotPepperQueen said:
Wow! Lots of different varieties. I ate my first Black Cherry tomato today and it tasted like candy. I will definitely be growing these again. Some of my customers that planted their Brandywine Pinks and Black Krims in raised beds said they have loved the fruit off of them and will never go back to a hybrid tomato again.
I like the chocolate cherry tomatoes, candy sweet... and when I dry them they make the BEST sun dried tomatoes for salads and stuff. :)

Latest posts