What are you canning now?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, do any of those apple trees that you see have a house on the property? If so, I would knock on their door and ask if you could have some. I'm sure they would be glad to give them to you.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, do any of those apple trees that you see have a house on the property? If so, I would knock on their door and ask if you could have some. I'm sure they would be glad to give them to you.

Mary

I have done so...one household said they were going to use them but that was about a month ago and they've not used them yet. Another household said we could have the apples, so we got those...those were just a few buckets full. One fella answered my last ad and said we could have the apples from both his trees, so we got those as well...several buckets from those trees.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I canned up 7 quarts of pears today so far, with maybe 2/3rds of the pile left to go. I had to hurry and do up those that were badly bruised and starting to spoil. The others will be easier. I got a little carried away trying to cut out a buggy spot in one that was hard as a stone and yet again I nearly cut the tip of my finger off. Serrated knives hurt so much worse too! :hit

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I put up 5 pints of apple butter Saturday (BWB). Spent a large part of the weekend working up the eight stewing hens we culled from the flock for winter the previous Saturday. Got all the meat picked clean, strained the broth and skimmed the fat (kept some of that in the freezer to use for cooking, which I don't usually do). Today's plan was to can this all up. I got 6 quarts of chicken meat run through the old pressure canner and it wasn't until it was done depressurizing that I realized the gauge was stuck on 11 lbs of pressure. :confused: I must have gotten water in it last time or something. By the time I realized it, it was too late to run to the hardware store and hope they had a replacement gauge.
latest

I don't like to take chances with my canning, but I am pretty certain I was likely well over pressure most of that hour and a half processing time. I did notice I never had to adjust the stove temp and kept it on 4 the whole time, whereas it usually needs turned down to 3 or so. The jars have been seething vigorously for over 2 hours since I took them out of the canner, so I really think they are ok. Ugh. But I hate not knowing exactly. Broth I wouldn't have cared to reprocess, but I really don't want to overcook this meat to mush. Thoughts?

(I think I'll be asking Santa for a new canner this year. One with a weighted gauge that will hold 14 quart jars. *sigh*)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think you're fine. I've canned chicken in a steam canner before(not a pressure canner) and it was just fine too.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another late night canning marathon... Put up 5 quarts of venison backstrap cutlets, 7 quarts ground and 7 quarts of stew meat. I have never canned ground meat before, but since I was low on freezer space I was compelled to give it a try. Turned out really good and was easier than I thought. I think it's going to be really handy to toss in chili, spaghetti or for tacos!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My aunt used to can many jars of venison mincemeat.

Her husband was a logger.

It was a surprise to me to learn that most people didn't expect mincemeat to have meat in it.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My aunt used to can many jars of venison mincemeat.

Her husband was a logger.

It was a surprise to me to learn that most people didn't expect mincemeat to have meat in it.

Steve

I've never had mincemeat before. I'm really not sure what it is either. I'll have to Google it...LOL.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never had mincemeat either just remember in Great Expectations pip snuggled it out to the convict waiting for him. I Thank a public school teacher for that knowledge, great book!!!

Latest posts