What are you canning now?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Went after another load of apples the other day, after advertising in the locals for any free apples folks didn't want.

LL

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bet that smells wonderful! The small bushel we got from our trees is still waiting in the garage, and it's amazing how that little bit can perfume the whole garage.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Free apples good I went to a u pick orchard today with friends. $3.00 a person just to get in. Apples where $25 a half bushel $17 a peck. Left with 1 bushel and a large pumpkin was $79. Pumpkins where 89 cents a pound. Can't believe a deer last you so long !!!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Free apples good I went to a u pick orchard today with friends. $3.00 a person just to get in. Apples where $25 a half bushel $17 a peck. Left with 1 bushel and a large pumpkin was $79. Pumpkins where 89 cents a pound. Can't believe a deer last you so long !!!

That wasn't exactly a bargain for doing all the work yourself picking the apples. I've seen better prices at the grocery store.
What kind of apples did you pick?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can't believe a deer last you so long !!!

We aren't big meat eaters and, when we do eat it, we use it to make a big meal of soup, stir fry, chili, etc., so it goes along way when we utilize it. Mom doesn't eat enough to keep a mouse alive.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Canned 7 quarts of pinto beans in ham stock today and had another 7 quarts loaded up in the canner...only sometime later to figure out that it was leaking steam and not pressuring up. :barnie The gasket went bad, gonna have to run to the hardware store and buy a new one tomorrow (plus an extra!) I'll reprocess those tomorrow for refried beans, I guess.

I think I am in the market for a new pressure canner. Something that can do 14 quarts at a time. The newer ones lock down and don't use gaskets anymore, right? Any recommendations?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got some 'pears' from a guy at work. He said that they were falling off of his tree and that he was raking them up and throwing them in the woods. :ep I told him that if he would bring me some, I would return a jar of pear jam. The next day I found a little shopping bag of what looked like walnuts. They were round, hard as rocks, small enough to hide in a closed fist, and not a single one without rotting spots.
I did the best I could to get anything usable off of them but only ended up with three 1/2pints of so-so jam.
I sure hope he doesn't 'gift' anymore to me....

Latest posts