What are you canning now?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
with all the diplomat melons coming on all at once dw sliced and dried 7 of them in the Excalibur.. little jewels all dried up...tastes just like a pear..
picked out another 7 melons for drying ..... between the 4 of us this mess will not last long...yummmm
DSC_0009.JPG

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Everybody finds their own way. Personally, I find blanching easier than cutting off the skins, and there is more of the peach when you are done. It's a matter of time with me. Consider making bread. It's very easy and theraputic, like pounding down the dough, but you have to set aside the time to do it. When I blanch vegetables or fruit, I give myself extra time because the vegetables and fruit retain their heat and you need to let them cool down before deskinning them. Tomatoes are the worst for heat retention! I don't like to waste ice cooling them down, either. So, I use a slotted spoon, then put the fruit in bowls and let them cool down. I've even started draining my corn by pouring the pot water through a colander into a plastic paint bucket, and then watering with that after the corn water cools down. I have to pay for my water and it seems a waste to pour it down the drain.

Latest posts