What are you canning now?

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We've been putting back a lot of cucumbers for pickles this year, along with starting to put back jalapenos and possibly some tomatoes here this evening. I got into canning last year and it has not only been beneficial but fun- I really enjoyed giving jams and jalapeno slices for Christmas last year.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everybody finds their own way. Personally, I find blanching easier than cutting off the skins, and there is more of the peach when you are done. It's a matter of time with me. Consider making bread. It's very easy and theraputic, like pounding down the dough, but you have to set aside the time to do it. When I blanch vegetables or fruit, I give myself extra time because the vegetables and fruit retain their heat and you need to let them cool down before deskinning them. Tomatoes are the worst for heat retention! I don't like to waste ice cooling them down, either. So, I use a slotted spoon, then put the fruit in bowls and let them cool down. I've even started draining my corn by pouring the pot water through a colander into a plastic paint bucket, and then watering with that after the corn water cools down. I have to pay for my water and it seems a waste to pour it down the drain.

Ducks, I just place my maters in the freezer overnight and then slip the skins as they thaw the next day. Much easier and a huge time saver.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Steve, what was that term that you used for gardening in other's yards?
A few days ago I got a call to come pick some squash and tomatoes. Yesterday someone else called and asked if I wanted some string beans. I picked from 7 - 9PM and FILLED a huge basket till I could hardly lift it into my truck. When I went to get in, there were 4 cucumbers and a bag of 10 ears of corn on in my seat. :)
My garden doesn't have anything to harvest yet (except for those 2 squash the other afternoon) but I'll be canning beans and freezing corn all evening Thursday.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm missing my "Hey Steve's!"

"..., what was that term that you used for gardening in other's yards?"

GOOPP - gardening on other people's property

However, I don't get to just show up once or twice a year and have people load their produce in my truck! ;) I'm in the gardens 5 or 6 days each week, from about May Day on ... if I don't go to one garden, I go to the other. Rain, that infrequent visitor, is the only thing that keeps me out of that daily routine. There is plenty of time off, in the other seasons of the year.

;) Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I want to dry some herbs. Got basil, oregano, parsley and ... something else that I've forgotten.
Just pick leaves and spread in the dehydrator till crispy????

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I want to dry some herbs. Got basil, oregano, parsley and ... something else that I've forgotten.
Just pick leaves and spread in the dehydrator till crispy????

Use the lowest heat setting. Or you can put them loosely in a paper bag, close it and hang up to dry.

Latest posts