What are you canning now?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, thistlebloom! Must I stop over and show you how? I've never canned any other way than with a pressure cooker. M-I-L used to water bath many of her veggies, but I've always felt safer with my two pressure cookers (and 6 burner range top).

One post to go!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
But....but....but that's what makes the pressure cooker so great! With a pressure cooker there is almost zero danger of food poisoning. You're doing exactly what Dole, Libby, and Delmonte are doing only on a smaller scale. Just follow the canning directions -- I never vary from the timings -- and you have all the foods at your fingertips without worrying about the power going out.

Power outages and dying freezers are my main fears with freezing over canning.

Last edited:

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got stuck in the scale last week with no lunch time relief - again.
Whined on facebook about it and a friend reminded me that I'm always posting about canning stuff....so why not can some lunches that can be stored almost indefinitely on a shelf?
So, adding to my canning sessions will be pint jars of: Spaghetti squash & meat sauce, beans & beef, chicken soup (and a bag of dry noodles in the desk drawer), chicken & rice casserole, and anything else I can come up with. I use my pressure canner (not cooker - they're different things aren't they?) for processing ALL of my summer goodies. Since I got it, the only thing that didn't go in it was some cantaloupe jam - that went waterbath.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great idea, canesisters, if a microwave (or other heating device) is available. Good friends sometimes see things from outside your box that you can't see from the inside.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you
sEm_blush7.gif

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hell, I wanted to write about his cucumbers and currant jam, but now it is better not say anything!:hide
Well, in September, I will preserve vegetables for various salads. And I'll buy a large enamel bucket and salting the cabbage in it.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I canned all day today. I canned 7 quarts of chicken backs, bony pieces for the dogs. I put the 2 bony pieces from 2 chickens in each quart, along with some squash, green beans and rice. This makes 15 quarts of "dog food." I also canned chicken thigh and drumstick meat, no bones and got 14 pints. I canned 17 pints of chicken broth and have a big pot of broth in the refrigerator, but I am out of jars! I have to go buy more jars, I have tomatoes in the freezer to can too.

Latest posts