What are you canning now?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Gardening with Rabbits and @thistlebloom canning isn't rocket science, if I can, you can too. We can all can! :lol:

I think I have at least the minimum required amount of brain cells, or at least pretty close, ;) it's mostly just a matter of it coming up higher on the priority list...I keep getting other things that are more urgent. ( Like a new horse to play with...:p)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
"We can all can!"

Baymule, I was expecting you to say we all dance strangely. But, no, you missed out on the great line. What happened?

Should'a, would'a, could'a said, "We all can can!"

default.jpg

That could be me fourth from the front. I don't rightly remember. I'd have been plumb drunk out of my head to be in the line at all.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Canning tomatoes tomorrow...salsa and mater soup. This will be the first time I've canned the soup and am using a recipe I found on Food.com, supposedly an old Mennonite lady's recipe for canned tomato soup: http://www.food.com/recipe/moms-best-tomato-soup-canning-recipe-44058

If anyone's ever tried this and it turned out bad, please let me know before I put this into a jar.

After that's all canned this week, then we'll move on to canning more corn before our green tomatoes are all gone.

After all of that is done, I'm going to see if I have any little ratty taters out there in the garden and will likely make use of those in some chicken pot pie mix that I'll can up. I want to rebatch some of the chicken in jars I currently have, removing the bones, cutting the meat up and canning it back to the jar as chicken pot pie mix. I'll use any taters I find, sweet corn off the cob, celery, baby carrots(just a few), onions, garlic, rice, chicken, kielbasa, etc.

That should work wonderfully in getting a pot pie thrown together pretty quickly later on this year for family get togethers and such.

Then, it looks like our second peach tree is finally ripening and those peaches are bigger than the others even, though not as plentiful after the dog helped himself all summer long.
rolleye0014.gif
Will likely freeze those as there won't be enough of them to make the mess of canning.

Finally, after all of that is said and done, there won't be anymore canning unless the beans suddenly start making good, which I doubt, until the chickens are ready to butcher or if someone gets a deer here.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
It seems rather early in the season to end canning, but since I haven't even started. . .

Nice to know you have all your cans filled with good things from your own place no matter what the rest of the world is doing.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, I like the sound of your canning up pot pie ingredients. Pot pie has always been one of my favorite comfort foods. To have it handy to just dump in a pie crust is a great idea.
Do you make yours like a pie with top and bottom crust? That's how I do it, but need a better way to do the bottom. Sometimes it gets soggy.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
It seems rather early in the season to end canning, but since I haven't even started. . .

Nice to know you have all your cans filled with good things from your own place no matter what the rest of the world is doing.

Red, that's easy when the crop is this small. :D Not exactly overrun with produce here, so canning season will be quick and easy. Will do 40 qts of sweet corn before it's done, about 20 qt of salsa, maybe 20 pts of tomato soup, and then odds and ends of things like the chicken pot pie and such. Few pts of green beans unless they produce more this fall.

Easiest canning season I've ever had, really. It has its charms but there will be less food on the shelf this winter.

Bee, I like the sound of your canning up pot pie ingredients. Pot pie has always been one of my favorite comfort foods. To have it handy to just dump in a pie crust is a great idea.
Do you make yours like a pie with top and bottom crust? That's how I do it, but need a better way to do the bottom. Sometimes it gets soggy.

I do a bottom and top crust and it never seems to be soggy on bottom...I make my pot pie mix pretty thickened, so that may be a factor.

Saw Chef Irvine on a show once and he said you can keep the bottom pie crust from getting soggy by rubbing it down with butter prior to adding your filling. I've never tried that but it sounds like it could work, especially for fruit pies and such.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Been canning salsa today and ended with 15 qts and 7 pts. Now I've got a big stock pot of tomato soup on the stove, ready to be canned and another large pan full of tomato sauce in the fridge for more of the same when this is done.

I expect to be up half the night on it, as I didn't manage my time well today.

Latest posts