What are you canning now?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, that is a lot of salsa. The quart size is too much for us. I use pints. I need to can some but every weekend seems to be packed. The good thing is that I can find tomatoes at the farmer's market late into the summer. I don't think I have that many this year. But I only can about 10 pints.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I normally can up around 30 qts of salsa, so this isn't much compared to our normal. I have some heavy eatin' boys who love salsa, Miss Mary...they can put down a qt. in one setting very easily, so I was kind of concerned I didn't have enough this year. :gig

We also have a family get together type of recipe for a dip that calls for a qt of salsa, so we use it that way too.

I'll be guarding this stuff like Ft. Knox due to it being so scanty this year. :D

Even this soup I'm canning up will be very rationed...I figure I'll only get 8 qts and maybe 16 pts if I'm lucky.

Not many tomatoes this year but I'm stretching them as far as I can, putting all of them into the jar.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, is your salsa very spicy? Those must be big boys to eat a whole quart!

Are you able to find some decent price tomatoes at a farmer's market so that you can do more?

I don't like salsa to be too spicy. Mine is more of a medium heat. I like to be able to eat my salsa and not just taste it. If you know what I mean. ;)

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, is your salsa very spicy? Those must be big boys to eat a whole quart!

Are you able to find some decent price tomatoes at a farmer's market so that you can do more?

I don't like salsa to be too spicy. Mine is more of a medium heat. I like to be able to eat my salsa and not just taste it. If you know what I mean. ;)

Mary

I would consider this a medium heat, though I tried to make it a bit hotter than that. Yes, those are some big boys and they love them some salsa.

Even my grandgirl, Aliza, age 2, can sit and eat a soup bowl of salsa by herself...she eats it with a spoon, no chips needed, thank you very much. Sometimes she'll eat it with her thumb...and she never needs a drink to cool it down. She's been eating salsa since she was 2 mo. old.

When we go to our favorite Mexican place, they offer free salsa and chips...our favorite waitresses see us at the table and bring a carafe of salsa and just keep the chips flowing. :gig I've been bringing my boys to that same place since they were babies, so the waitresses know us well.

You could say we love our spicy food. :D

I've promised myself that I'm not buying anything but corn at the farm stand this year...what we grow is what I'm putting up of our other items, but I can't possibly grow enough corn on this place for our needs without taking up the whole garden with it.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay around here that would be gourmet dog food

Maybe I could can dog food, ship it to you and you could recommend it to your clients... :lol: Quarts for the big dogs, pints for the medium dogs and half pints for the little dogs. With names like Texas Road Kill, Planked Possum, Wrecked Raccoon, Armadillo Bites, Chicken Fried Chicken, Buzzard Butts....... I could go on and on. I bet my "gourmet" dog food would be a best seller! :gig

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red right add organic to the label. But need to rethink names upscale clients will not buy road kill.

So you're saying your clients have no twisted humor...too bad. Ok, clean up my act....
Chicken Fried Chicken (it's not road kill)
Beef Bites
Ewe-nique Lamb

Latest posts