What are you canning now?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have a brand new pressure canner. I am a little leary about using it on my stove in the kitchen, so I'm sure that my first trial will be outside, with the propane powered, 2 burner camping stove, JUST in case it blows it's top!! I cannot afford to change the ceiling lighting in my kitchen, much less replace 1/2 of the kitchen.
So far, vinegar and sugar are my best friends.
Therefore, what have I canned lately? This morning I canned 6 3/4 quarts pickled beets, flavored with cinnamon.
I am expecting another beet harvest late this fall.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a brand new pressure canner. I am a little leary about using it on my stove in the kitchen, so I'm sure that my first trial will be outside, with the propane powered, 2 burner camping stove, JUST in case it blows it's top!! I cannot afford to change the ceiling lighting in my kitchen, much less replace 1/2 of the kitchen.
Therefore, what have I canned lately? This morning I canned 6 3/4 quarts pickled beets, flavored with cinnamon.

It will be fine as long as you stay nearby and keep an eye on it. The pressure changes pretty slowly. They have a heat sink plug in the lid that will pop out first and let the pressure go if over-pressured. After a few times, you'll know what to set the stove heat to so it will keep a constant pressure. I feared mine at first too, especially being a 1950s dinosaur, but now it's as easy as cooking spaghetti to me. Now if I can just get past my fear of lye and make soap! :eek:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score

dw does all the canning outside with the old turkey cooker burner, she has a good point why heat up the house why canning all day....the power meter is spinning fast enough......

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I'm still here next year, I'm thinking about establishing a summer kitchen out in our carport for that reason. We don't have AC here and Mom doesn't want to get it, so canning here is done early morning or late at night to avoid the extra heat.

Mom used to can on her wood cook stove...no fans, no AC, just a screened in lean to kitchen where she canned hundreds upon hundreds of qts. of food, so she has very little sympathy for my canning efforts on a gas range. :gig

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Same here. What little dabs I put up seem so paltry and silly compared to what Mom has put up in a season when she was feeding her family. I'm almost embarrassed to show her what I've done...she always is nice about it and praises my "hard work" but I know down deep inside she's probably laughing. :D

Sort of like when a kid brings you her drawing and you say how good it is and put it up on the fridge but you still don't know what it's supposed to be. :gig

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't have that problem. My mom didn't do these sort of things in the kitchen and thought I was more than a little off when it is so easy to go to the store to buy it. I never let her disapproval slow me down one bit--on anything I wanted to do. I like the idea of a summer kitchen. I'll put it on my list......

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
List I am going to have buy tomatoes to make Salsa.. I may have one cabbage plant make it
with the three of us and our capabilities everything will be done in pots potatoes will be in old tires
but the chickens are taking the garden area officially

Latest posts