What are you canning now?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
It wasn't a very long canning season, but I'm glad it's almost over all the same. For some reason this year I'm just tired, hurting more than usual and not as excited about canning like I usually am. I think that's called getting old...
LOL_.gif

Still need to make chicken pot pie mix, will be canning more green beans along the way and later on, the chickens and all their various byproducts. Then the canners can be stored for another year.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm looking at my new All American canner, wondering where in the heck I am going to put it. These mobile home cabinets must have been designed my a moron who never cooked so much as a cup of hot water in the microwave and ate out for every meal.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm looking at my new All American canner, wondering where in the heck I am going to put it. These mobile home cabinets must have been designed my a moron who never cooked so much as a cup of hot water in the microwave and ate out for every meal.

I agree! That's one reason we built on to this trailer, both front and back. No place for storage or for stretching out. Even with that, I normally store my canner out in the shed after we get done using it for the season. Your canner is likely twice the size of mine, so you might have to store it in the barn! :D

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
http://www.food.com/recipe/moms-best-tomato-soup-canning-recipe-44058

I tweaked it a little...not too much...and it still came out delicious. I didn't measure the salt and sugar, but added to taste. I also added a handful of baby carrots to the veggies in the recipe.

I also will not be adding baking soda when using it later...all reviews of the soup said that made it taste nasty and I can believe it. I ruined a whole batch of tomato sauce this year by adding making soda, per recommendation on another recipe.

Sounds good. I would leave out the butter and flour until ready to use. I think baking soda tastes nasty too. I prefer to add milk to tomato soup instead. Cuts the acid as well. When I first heard of it, I thought that's crazy.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds good. I would leave out the butter and flour until ready to use. I think baking soda tastes nasty too. I prefer to add milk to tomato soup instead. Cuts the acid as well. When I first heard of it, I thought that's crazy.

Why leave out the butter and flour?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why leave out the butter and flour?

Not really recommended for canning, although I know people have done so for many years back. The concern is that flour could clump and cause uneven heating of the jar and butter can foul the lid sealing. I have had that happen with chicken fat I couldn't get all skimmed from my broth. It wouldn't bother me to add it later. It would still be a quick meal. I think I'd just make a rue in the bottom of the pot first, then add in the soup.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not really recommended for canning, although I know people have done so for many years back. The concern is that flour could clump and cause uneven heating of the jar and butter can foul the lid sealing. I have had that happen with chicken fat I couldn't get all skimmed from my broth. It wouldn't bother me to add it later. It would still be a quick meal. I think I'd just make a rue in the bottom of the pot first, then add in the soup.

The way the recipe instructs to make the roux keeps the flour from clumping and turns this soup a silky smooth texture. I wouldn't worry much about uneven heating of the jar....that can happen with anything you can that is thick, even with chunks of vegetables. Just gotta can it for the right times and it gets hot all the way through. This stuff canned up just lovely, nice tight jar seal and all.

Same with the fat...I can chicken fat right in the jar with the chicken every year and especially with the stock. Any meat you can has fat in it, so butter is no different.

Latest posts