What are you canning now?

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. May have to give that a whirl. Honestly we still have a bunch of fruit we picked and froze that needs to be made into jam....

Other than that I've got blue hubbards that are ridiculously big that I'll need to roast, portion off and freeze. After that we waiting on apples from the inlaws trees to ripen.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Canning Roma tomatoes today...salsa and spaghetti sauce! After that, other tomatoes for juice and stewed. Next week, hopefully, we'll continue to can sweet corn enough to fill that shelf.

Happy canning out there!!!!
wee.gif

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can't say enough about this Ninja blender we use for breaking things down for canning. It makes this whole process a dream to do and saves my fingers from multiple cuts from paring knives and having to clean up our old manual table mount grinder that required you feed it one veggie at a time~ read SLOW~and much cranking.

Right now I have tomatoes simmering in a crock pot, being cooked down for sauce and have 11 qts. of fresh salsa awaiting their turn in the steam canner. I have another bushel of maders to use tomorrow when I get more of my accessory ingredients....I underestimated what I had on hand. So far 2 bushel of Roma maders have been processed into something to put into a jar or are currently cooking down towards that goal.

Will get another bushel tomorrow to go with the extra bushel I have on hand and do it all over again tomorrow. That should fulfill all my Roma needs, then we can move on down to the juice maders.

God has given us good, cool weather for canning, as well as provided all the food to can, the implements to do so and the desire for it. He is so very good!!! :love

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Amen! Nothing like a full canning shelf to make you feel real blessed. :thumbsup

I bought a Ninja IQ blender this spring. Love mine too and recommend them to everyone.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today all the ingredients for salsa were pulsed fresh in the Ninja blender, combined in a huge stainless steel pan and seasoned to taste. Almost a whole bushel of maters were reduced to that one big pan. I was missing a key ingredient~lime juice~but substituted with lemon. Will obtain lime juice tomorrow for the next batch.

This mix was placed cold in the jar and processed in the steam canner as per normal. For salsa I want the ingredients to be as fresh as possible, so didn't preheat the mixture. This recipe calls for fresh tomatoes, green peppers, sweet peppers, jalapenos, cilantro, onions, cumin and lime juice, as well as salt and black pepper. I add garlic also. It has fantastic flavor!!! I must admit how surprised I was to find this homemade salsa was so easy to make and tasted better than any other salsa I've ever tasted in any store or restaurant. It's nigh addictive and one cannot just eat a little, so this time I canned it up in quart jars.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Canning pics...so bright and vivid!

LL

Pureed Romas, cooking down for sauce.

LL

Romas bought at the farm stand for $12 a bushel.

LL

Romas grown here, harvested from this BTE garden.

LL

Canning full steam ahead...steam canner on the left, pressure canner on the right. This was taken the other day when I was canning hot pepper butter in the steam canner and green beans and chicken in the pressure canner.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
26 1/2 qt. of salsa on the shelf today, 2 qts. of sauce. We started on just canned tomatoes a bit ago, but discovered we are out of jars!
faint.gif
STARE.gif
We thought we had more than that but somehow we've used up our available stores and so will be buying 6 doz. tomorrow and more later, depending on how the apple crops look and what we expect in deer season.

So, for tonight, we have 7 jars of maters but can't process anymore until we buy jars tomorrow.
smile.gif

Last year we had just used one shelf on this back porch, with some stacking on other jars and spill over into one of our cabinets but not by much. This year we already have 2 1/2 shelves filled(with some stacking of pint jars), so I hope all 5 shelves of that shelving unit will be full before snow flies.

Thankfully, the tomatoes we are canning right now and the juice we are canning along with, will be going to my brother Jon's house and won't have to be stored here. That will ease our shelf space a good bit. I already have one whole box of hpb jars to be taken to his place that aren't on the shelf.

It has been a cool, sunny and crystal clear day here....perfect for canning, perfect weather all around. I thank God over and over for such days, as they make working so much easier.
Love_.gif

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
This morning I'm juicing tomatoes. We ran out of jars so Mom's making a run to town to get more. Will also do a stray (small) batch of peaches she brought home from Amish country last week and will soon go to waste if we don't can them up. Probably only make a pint or two~but at least that is two pints of fresh peaches that we didn't have before!
happy.gif

The rest of the tomatoes in the garden that are coming ripe will be put through the juicer to finish off the crop. I might throw some carrots, celery, green peppers, onions, chives and such to clean out the fridge and make a veggie juice instead...always wanted to do that.
smile.gif

We'll be checking out the apples in the mountains this weekend when we visit to see when we can expect to be canning those...free for the taking, growing out in the wild. Will haul back plenty for sauce and apple butter~will be using the big copper kettle this year!!!
running-around-smiley-emoticon_.gif
happy-dancing.gif
CHEER.gif
cheerleader.gif
I hope we can invite some of Mom's dance ladies back here that day and make a picnic out of it all.

Will also haul back plenty for deer, dog and chicken consumption.
wink.gif
That's just free food for the animals right there, just waiting to be picked up off the ground.

Soon it will be time to can meat...saw two fair sized bucks up by the chicken coop this morning. Nothing like seeing all your winter's meat in one place! :D Chicken and deer...yum!

Latest posts