What are you canning now?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beautiful colors of all those veggies. Do you blanch your corn to can? How do you can corn?

I guess you don't have to go off your property to hunt deer, huh.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beautiful colors of all those veggies. Do you blanch your corn to can? How do you can corn?

I guess you don't have to go off your property to hunt deer, huh.

Mary

Nope, we don't! :D We treat our deer just like any other livestock...I put out mineral salt blocks for them, grow clover in my yard/meadow for them and also try to grow as many apples as possible.

We cut that corn right off the cob without blanching, as it will be cooked during the canning process. No need to cook it twice.

We cut it off the cob, put it in the jar with a bit of salt, fill it with water and top it with a slice of green tomato for acid. Then we can it in a steam canner, which is equivalent to a boiling water bath canning method, for 45 min. after the steam plume reaches 10 in. in height. Canning it in this method retains the crispness, the color and the sweetness of the fresh corn like no other method...even better than freezing it. We've been canning corn in this manner for almost 40 yrs now, though most of those years it was actually done in the boiling water bath canner.

Most folks pressure can corn if they can it at all, but we've found that doing so renders it a flavorless, mushy and discolored mess not fit for eating...well..much like the corn in the can at the store. Ick. :sick

This corn here? Gourmet quality corn, unrivaled by anything offered for sale in a grocery store. :drool

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep! That should do it. Time starts after the water comes back to a rolling boil after you've placed your jars. In a steam canner, it starts when the steam builds enough to make a 10 in. plume out the holes.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Bee. We are going up to our cabin Labor Day weekend. There are a couple of fruit stands on the way. Hope corn is at a good price so I can get some to can.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Three fat hens killed this morning, 7 qt. of chicken canned today. That brings this season's total to 138 qt. and 52 pts. of food so far. God has truly blessed us with a food bounty this year!!! :bow

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Commercial break~

quotes-happiness-robert-louis-stevenson-600x411.jpg

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did you guys know that my simple Mirro pressure canner, that I got off Amazon for $38 and free s/h costs $315 plus s/h over on the UK Amazon site? I've always wondered why they seemed to can nothing but jams, chutneys and pickles and now I know...they don't have the wonderful access to cheap goods that we have here.

If ever you get to feeling like America's economy is bad or the price of things too high, just cruise on over to forums in the UK and see what they deal with...very much restriction of freedoms we take for granted every day, HUGE cost of living, have to rent small plots of land on which to garden and those allotments have all sorts of rules and restrictions, etc. It's no wonder they seem to resent us fat Americans...