What are you canning now?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Thanks, @journey11 !!!
I WANT my life changed forever!!!!!! :weee :weee :weee
I've made watermelon pickles before AND I made these from 16 cucumbers this summer.
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/bread_and_butter_pickles/
It's SO popular with my family that I've been ordered to keep us in them.
This will be fun to do next month, when I find the best oranges for marmalade canning.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you This...is...IT. The recipe that will change your life forever. ;)

Candied Jalapenos

Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 1 hour 15 mins
Yields: 4-5 pints

"There aren’t words that exist to describe how addictive these little savoury, sweet, spicy, crunchy, garlicky pickled jalapeno rounds are. Put them on sandwiches, tacos, rice or bake them into cornbread. You’ll need more and more!"

Ingredients:

•3 pounds fresh, firm, jalapeno peppers, washed
•2 cups cider vinegar
•6 cups white granulated sugar
•½ teaspoon turmeric
•½ teaspoon celery seed
•3 teaspoons granulated garlic
•1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

Instructions:

1.Wearing gloves, remove the stems from all of the jalapeno peppers. The easiest way to do this is to slice a small disc off of the stem-end along with the stem. Discard the stems.

2.Slice the peppers into uniform ⅛-1/4 inch rounds. Set aside.

3.In a large pot, bring cider vinegar, white sugar, turmeric, celery seed, granulated garlic and cayenne pepper to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the pepper slices and simmer for exactly 4 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the peppers, loading into clean, sterile canning jars to within ¼ inch of the upper rim of the jar. Turn heat up under the pot with the syrup and bring to a full rolling boil. Boil hard for 6 minutes.

4.Use a ladle to pour the boiling syrup into the jars over the jalapeno slices. Insert a cooking chopstick to the bottom of the jar two or three times to release any trapped pockets of air. Adjust the level of the syrup if necessary. Wipe the rims of the jars with a clean, damp paper towel and fix on new, two-piece lids to finger-tip tightness.

5.*If you have leftover syrup, and it is likely that you will, you may can it in half-pint or pint jars, too. It’s wonderful brushed on meat on the grill or added to potato salad or, or, or… In short, don’t toss it out!

6.Place jars in a canner, cover with water by 2-inches. Bring the water to a full rolling boil. When it reaches a full rolling boil, set the timer for 10 minutes for half-pints or 15 minutes for pints. When timer goes off, use canning tongs to transfer the jars to a cooling rack. Leave them to cool, undisturbed, for 24 hours. When fully cooled, wipe them with a clean, damp washcloth then label.

7.Allow to mellow for at least two weeks, but preferably a month before eating. Or don’t. I won’t tell!

Notes:
"I know this sounds crazy, but double this recipe. People will beg you for jars of this and get surly if you say no. Just. Trust. Me."
(source)

Journey, thanks for the recipe! I kept hearing about these on a canning group but no one actually posted the recipe, though everyone seemed to be making them. They too reported the swiftness of depletion on this item. Will most definitely be planting more jalapenos this next season with an eye towards storing them in this manner.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey I know you had heavy chick loss, but would you do turkeys again ?

Yes, I think I will. It was definitely a steep learning curve. I think I can get a better turn out next time now that I know more what I'm doing. Need to build a small shelter with a roost for them, maybe like a lean-to on the back of the barn. I felt bad that these had to spend most of their time in the coop in the barn. I'd let them out every so often and they'd terrorize the neighbor kids, lol. (Just intimidate them, really. ;) )

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm missing my "Hey Steve's!"

"..., what was that term that you used for gardening in other's yards?"

GOOPP - gardening on other people's property

However, I don't get to just show up once or twice a year and have people load their produce in my truck! ;) I'm in the gardens 5 or 6 days each week, from about May Day on ... if I don't go to one garden, I go to the other. Rain, that infrequent visitor, is the only thing that keeps me out of that daily routine. There is plenty of time off, in the other seasons of the year.

;) Steve

No garden in my yard this year :( But HOOPP (Harvesting On Other People's Property) is going strong.
pickles.jpg

5 gals of @baymule 's sweet & spicy pickles 'cookin'

corn.jpg

Sweet Corn

I forgot to take a picture of the green beans.. Got about 15-20 jars of those put away.

... still want a garden of my own though :\

Latest posts