What are you canning now?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Didn't find any sweet peppers to balance out the heat in these, so they will just have to be the true definition of fire jam. It will just make it go farther, so not so bad.

The house smells WONDERFUL from these cooking peppers....makes my mouth water!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I need to put cayenne peppers on the list for next year. Sliced and canned in a sweet syrup with onion makes for a yummy treat on crackers.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finished up with 26 1/2 pts of fire jam and it turned out to not be too fiery hot after all...it's rather JUST right! Hotter than most people prefer but not too hot for me, which I pronounce is perfect. :D I'm glad we didn't water it down with sweet peppers.

Finished up with 45 qt. of sweet corn and I had 16 left over from last year's canning, so 61 qts. of corn on hand total. That's our favorite veggie for cooking soups, pot pies, mixing into this dish or that one for a sweetness and a crunch, so it's good to have that on hand for the winter.

Usually just put up 40 qts. of that each year, as that seems to be the right amount to get us through, but since this past winter wasn't very cold, we ate less soup than normal.

Next thing to can will be next week, when we forage for mountain apples and do apple sauce, apple butter, apple slices for making of pies later, and juice. Will do the sauce and butter the old fashioned way, in the large copper kettle and invite some gals out to help and partake. LOVE that way of doing apples. :love

Then the next thing to can will be tomatoes into soup, then deer, then later on in the season we'll be canning up chicken.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
On the way to work I pass a city owned lot, where they park trucks. Along the front fence are 4 apples trees. Late summer the trees are filled with apples. Fall the ground around trees covered in rotting apples such a waste.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
On the way to work I pass a city owned lot, where they park trucks. Along the front fence are 4 apples trees. Late summer the trees are filled with apples. Fall the ground around trees covered in rotting apples such a waste.

I see that everywhere....no one seems to do anything with their apples anymore. Back in the day, apple trees were a coveted thing and they were used for cider, sauce, butter, pie filling and for just eating in the hand. Any rejected fruit was used for the livestock.

There's been many a time I've gotten sick on eating too many green apples off my grandma's trees...would salt them and eat them like crazy, loving that sour flavor!

We've been going to the mountains for apples since I can remember, coming back with truck beds full of them. There's no apple flavor like apples grown in the mountains...crisp white flesh, thin skins, tangy sweet flavor with juice that runs down your hand when you eat them. :drool Once you've eaten that kind of apple, apples from the store taste like so much cardboard. Sort of like store bought tomatoes...pretty, but absolutely no flavor or good texture to be found.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Someone needs to start a Project Pick, where volunteers pick fruit and donate it to the food bank. That's what my group does.

Mary

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cool Mary I just dont understand choice of tree city of White Plains made. On one block city planted mulberry. Males don't produce berries, some how females where planted what a mess

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, your city is bird friendly? Sounds like it with all the mulberries.

You are right, though. Those trees can be so messy -- forget trying to hand clothes out to dry.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not bird friendly more like trees purchased cheap then rest of budget pocketed. Mulberry can handle heavy pollution of a city, grow fast, males make great city trees because they dont fruit. Side note a client who just moved to White Plains said they have never been to a more dog unfriendly place. Every small patch of grass has a no dog sign.