Boy... this thread has taken a wide turn - :gig

So... has anyone canned anything lately???? :idunno

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 23055 View attachment 23055 View attachment 23055 View attachment 23055
Boy... this thread has taken a wide turn - :gig

So... has anyone canned anything lately???? :idunno

Cane, I can't say I've canned any of this lately but it's been throughout the year. The first was probably the Dandelion Jelly in March (from Bay's recipe), the last was the Sweet Pepper Jam last month when those peppers finally decided to get ripe.

I'll mix and match these with a dozen going onto a Christmas gifts for various people. The problem now is delivering these to people in four different states when we only plan to be in two of them between now and Christmas but I'll work it out. I always do.

Christmas.JPG

Bottom row, left to right

Blueberry Jam, Peach Jelly, Blackberry Jelly, Apple Jelly, Grape Jelly, Sweet Pepper Jam, Apple Butter

Top row, left to right

Pear Jam, Purple Hull Jelly, Peach Jam, Plum Jelly, Dandelion jelly, Plum Jam, Combined Mulberry-Dandelion Jelly

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
broth and chicken
2017 roos canned.jpg

Per family decision, we are having my garlic/rosemary pork roast for Thanksgiving this year :(

But there is a HUGE turkey defrosting in the fridge in the barn that will be roasted after TG, then made into sandwiches and turkey salad - then canned too. :D

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Feeding animal parts back to the same species became a bit taboo since 'mad cow' became so infamous.
I don't feed raw meat or eggs to the flock because I don't want to give them the idea that eggs are tasty or to make them any more 'blood thirsty' than they already are naturally. I have no problem giving them cooked eggs (scramble up shells and all when I have some that get older than I want to deal with) and cooked meat of any kind is fair game.
I'm Not judging. It's just me. I'd love to raise meat rabbits, but I had pet rabbits and couldn't kill them, so no meat rabbits for ME.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I was gonna open up my pressure canner this weekend, but ran out of time. I hot water processed 4 pumpkins and hydrated beans, and put them on the front porch, my "alternate refridgerator/freezer" in the winter. I'll try pressure canning next Sunday, instead.
I will can and freeze 2 pints of chili and try pressure canning those, too. You gotta start Somewhere, right?
I am thinking I will have about 20 pints of pumpkin/read that "pies," when I'm done.
I was surprised that the Blue Doll pumpkins had so much meat. The only reason that the giant pumpkins had more was square inches of actual pumpkin.
Made a pie from a Blue Doll and it was really yummy.
I am saving all of the seeds to plant next year.
I also have been ordered to try growing Porcelain Doll pumpkins next year by DD's and my friend, who all love pink.