What are you canning now?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't canned since 2011. And I've been hoarding my stock. But my tomatoes are on overdrive now - finally. I'm thinkin' its time to find the canning stuff...

OH - I would love a recipe for salsa. I have tons of tomatillos, jalapenos, red bells, three miserable green bells, tomatoes and store bought onions. Oh, and home grown shallots that a friend gave me.

My 'recipe' for salsa is simply proportions - 1 part pepper, 2 parts onion, 3 parts tomato. I might add seasonings to the bowl when serving. Most folks like something more sophisticated. I just like the simple, fresh taste.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yesterday we put up the last of the tomatoes. 16 more quarts plus a pint. for a garden of 12 beefsteak plants 116 quarts of tomatoes is about average for us. it doesn't count how many tomatoes we've eaten or given away, but i roughly figure 3lbs of tomatoes per quart as a bucket weighs about 22lbs when full and it is usual to get 7 quarts per bucket...

glad to be done with them. they're so good and useful for all sorts of things, but this is bean harvest season and that's where i wanna be... :)

picking more beans today. 3rd picking of the gardens and only 4 more gardens to do, most of the plants are done, but a few of the longer season beans are hanging on so i'll let them go as long as they keep flowering and trying to put pods/beans on. perhaps we'll get long fall... :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’ve been canning chicken broth from feet I had in the freezer. When I butcher chickens, there is so much to do, that I just chunk the feet in a gallon ziplock and freeze. We have a 500 pound boar going to slaughter next week. I NEED that freezer space! So I canned frozen tomatoes a few weeks ago, now working down the chicken feet. Two more bags to go. So far, 21 quarts of broth.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
sorry to shout, but,
I NEED A GOOD RECIPE TO MAKE SPAGHETTI SAUCE FROM MY CANNED TOMATOES!!!
:barnie:barnie:barnie
...thank you...:love

we put up tomato chunks with a lot of juice in them (beefsteaks) so to make a thicker sauce when we turn them into the many Italian style dishes we make we cheat by buying a big can of tomato paste from the big box store (for a few $ they have these cans that must be about 2/3 of a gallon - i can't remember the ounces in them...) and using that to thicken.

in the old days in Italy grandma said they used old sheets on the roof tops to dry tomatoes down.

the basic recipe is usually garlic, onions, a hint of nutmeg and cinnamon, then the other spices and amounts vary by what dish the sauce is aimed at. lasagna and manicotti get oregano, spaghetti sauce usually only gets a small amount if any. since we never really measure these things out i can't say how much of what, but a lot of garlic and onions for sure as we like those. :)

not sure if this helps... we're not much into cooking with a lot of meat lately, but of course a good spaghetti sauce with ground beef or chopped meats is yum. :) i much prefer chunks of meat instead of ground but that's just me.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’ve been canning chicken broth from feet I had in the freezer. When I butcher chickens, there is so much to do, that I just chunk the feet in a gallon ziplock and freeze. We have a 500 pound boar going to slaughter next week. I NEED that freezer space! So I canned frozen tomatoes a few weeks ago, now working down the chicken feet. Two more bags to go. So far, 21 quarts of broth.

All right... I keep hearing how amazing broth is made from the feet... but I JUST can't get past this - HOW do you clean them????

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
All right... I keep hearing how amazing broth is made from the feet... but I JUST can't get past this - HOW do you clean them????

ditto, but perhaps they don't have to be spotless, after all a little bit of minerals/dirt are good for ya... :) i can, however, imagine some people with tiny little brushes getting under all the tiny nails...

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
When my mom made tomato gravy every Sunday it took hours. To thinken use bread crumbs. Every Sunday unless holiday. my family and everyone else in neighborhood had macaroni and gravy about 2 pm then leftover reheated at about 7pm. No one called it pasta and no one called it sauce.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score

I bring water to a boil and dump the feet in for about 15 seconds, then dump them in the sink ansd cool them to stop them cooking. The claws twist out pretty easily and the skin can be peeled. That gets them clean enough for me. If you blanch them too long the skin tears and is a pain top get off. They are real easy to overcook.

Feet add a lot of gelatin to the broth. They are a great addition. But you have to get over the yuk! factor.