What are you canning now?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ducks, to bad you don't live close. I have several quart boxes that I know I'll never use. They are regular mouth and I prefer the wide mouth instead.

Mary

i like wide mouth for making pickle spears, but the smaller mouthed jars for most of everything else. the lids are less expensive and easier for Mom to open.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
just pulled the tomatoes out of the oven. 25 quarts put up this evening. i think we're about set for the season, but there is about a bucket of tomatoes picked today that need some ripening on a lounge chair and another bucket or two on the plants that will eventually get either picked and eaten fresh or perhaps we'll do some more. Mom said whatever jars we have left we'll use up and then that's it.

i want at least one BLT yet with real bacon...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have some old produce that I may just have to clean out of about 30 quarts. No big problem.
SPEAKING of canning, I canned 11 more quarts of tomatoes this weekend. Ran out of time to make grape jelly, so I filled two 1/2 gallon jars of juice. Should be home tomorrow to make into jelly. I Still have some grapes on the vines, so I might process them tomorrow, too.
I froze 3 more quart bags of okra and we are swimming in beefsteak tomatoes, too for eating.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wanted to show you guys my new canning shelf I finished this week. I built it all by myself! :D

View attachment 24552

The one that was here when we bought the house was narrow and warped, rough cut lumber on shelf brackets. I painted the paneled wall and added some T5 lighting fixtures to the ceiling to brighten things up down there. I'm going to build another shelf on the backside of the wall (this is a center partition in my basement) for storage and to organize my laundry room. I have been on a mission to organize and minimize the clutter around here. Hope to be done before spring gets here.

I haven't checked in on this thread in a while.
WOW! Everyone has been BUSY.
@journey11 I am having EXTREME pantry envy. That shelving unit is beautiful!!!!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't checked in on this thread in a while.
WOW! Everyone has been BUSY.
@journey11 I am having EXTREME pantry envy. That shelving unit is beautiful!!!!

i know... in a house with limited space that is just so perfectly drool worthy... :)

only putting up a few tomatoes now that the main harvest is done. getting beans shelled and dried.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I Thought I had 48 quarts of tomatoes from the past and this year, but I have more. No time to count bc I am cleaning up for my Salsa Party, October 6th, in the pantry.
@ninnymary will laugh at this: by cleaning up my pantry I have found that I REALLY have a LOT of empty jars. 4 1/2 gallon, 24 quarts, 36+ pints and 24+ 1/2 pints. I have had to throw away rusty screw tops of many of them, my dishwasher has Earned it's repair this summer bc I have run jars through it 2x now, with a few in there for the next load. I removed as many screw tops from produce as possible, MANY were rusty and went into the metal recycle trash can in the tool shed, but many were in good to excellent shape, so those have been washed and dried, some put on jars that needed them and the others as stored in the kitchen in an 8 cup Pyrex bowl. We have SO MUCH humidity here that I didn't see so much rust!
I put my jars away with lids and screw tops so that canning doesn't get interrupted. The harvest waits for NO One!!! :drool
I had packaging from buying canning jars, so I cleaned the cardboard, let them dry in the sun, filled each of them and wrapped them each in a new garbage bag to keep them as dry as possible.
It is hot as blazes--90 with heat indexes close to 100--but I am pushing myself to finish as much as possible THIS WEEK, by pretending that my party is this Saturday, instead of 3 weeks away.
Should be finished the pantry by this PM and that's important bc anything from the kitchen that needs to be de cluttered will be stored there.
DD's are in Disney World this week, where EVERYTHING is "yes", or so they tell me. :cool:
Oh, yeah, I also put up 2 pints and 4 1/2 pints of grape jelly. It is...to die for.:love

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't canned since 2011. And I've been hoarding my stock. But my tomatoes are on overdrive now - finally. I'm thinkin' its time to find the canning stuff...

OH - I would love a recipe for salsa. I have tons of tomatillos, jalapenos, red bells, three miserable green bells, tomatoes and store bought onions. Oh, and home grown shallots that a friend gave me.