What are you canning now?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Let's get this straight--the pear tree grew the pears and the 5 ancient grape vines do all of the grape growing. It's nothing like what you'all are doing tending your vegetables. All I do is watch and harvest. What to do with all of the grapes?:
1) grape jelly
2) grape juice
3) WINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think that they are concord grapes.

,,,ok, I DO prune...

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
But..but...they all look so glowingly healthy and juicy!!! You must be doing something right to have them grow so big and perfect!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Guards in camo????

grape guard.jpg grape guard2.jpg

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like Cane's idea! LOL
The dog is outside sometimes, but not enough to stop all the thievery. Since there is a surplus it is not a big problem. BUT then I have a young vine of Concord grapes that I really want. So few that if the birds get to them 1stI do not have enough to make even a small jelly batch. :(

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Next question is how do you get your dog to stop eating the grapes? :gigMy dog, Jake, loved my grapes and I never got a harvest from them while he was around. He is an apple lovin', tomato lovin, corn lovin', banana lovin' dog. I always laugh when people go on and on about corn in dog food and how it's not something dogs would eat in nature....but all my dogs would raid the garden for ears of corn if left to do so and LOVE to eat corn, tomatoes, carrots, etc.

Then one day I heard that grapes will poison a dog....I think they haven't told that to Jake yet.... :rolleyes:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed Try to keep Jake out of the grapes. They can harm his Kidneys (I think that is it.) Our dog loves them also. Thankfully the vines are trained up and over and old clothes line, too high to reach for self picking. He will help himself to asparagus, tomatoes and green pepper. After stealing and eating 3 bananas, peal and all, he will not touch them. He eats corn, pea, potatoes, carrot and green beans if we drop them while working in kitchen. (Heck he will eat anything that hits the floor before I can holler NO - might not even be food! ) OH and
HE loves butter. He will steal that off the counter has even eaten and entire stick. UGH

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
loudlaff[1].gif
I used to have butter thief dog too! Back when I ran rescue, the dogs stayed at my Mom's when I was on duty. Mom kept butter in a dish on the table all the time. If she had to go out and forgot to pick it up, she would come home to find that Frankie had taken the bowl, eaten the butter - and then HID THE BOWL! She would find it in a potted plant, behind the sofa, under the bed...

Latest posts