What are you canning now?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
YEECH!!! I won't use the feet for ANYTHING I want to eat!! I just keep thinking about all of the poo that they get on their feet. I KNOW there are folks who just love them, but the feet go to the dogs at my house. Period.

I use the shanks...the legs... but nowadays clip those feet off. No matter how one pre soaks or even dips in boiling water to remove the skin and nails, the feet seem to retain that odor of the fecal matter...and my birds free range, so not really walking along in their own poop all the time.

If that odor gets into my stock, I can always taste that also...so the actual feet go to the dogs but the shanks of the leg don't seem to have that same odor and I can use them for all the good collagen they contain. That's my best compromise on chicken feet.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've never had chicken feet, or pigs feet for that matter. My papaw just loved pickled pig's feet. Every time he ate them all I could think about was how the pigs would walk around in all that pig poo. I just can't do it, LOL

Not doing any pressure/wb canning right now. Not easy to do on crutches. In fact, hard to do a lot of stuff on crutches. But I have dehydrated & vacuumed sealed okra and some more of my basil.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tis the season to be canning meat, soups, etc. Killed a group of chickens this week to can up and also to make stock. Hope to kill more this next week to continue the culling of the flock to winter numbers.

Then there will be deer meat, Lord willing.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am thinking of canning ..

. Ginger.

The ginger did very well, left in the greenhouse through the growing season - much better than if they had been moved outdoors. Three large pots and one pot had a huge root! It is time to harvest the others but ... what are we to do if there are 3 huge roots of ginger?!

The roots will last for weeks just sitting in a basket on the kitchen counter. I bet that we have two of them wasted if that is our technique again this year.

The plants never did this well - must really love the heat. But lately, it is cold in there every morning. Need an alternative while there is time to experiment and the Japanese call ginger pickled in rice vinegar, salt and sugar: gari.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Saturday I canned the last of the collection of tomatoes, 3 quarts and 1 pint. I am going out today to collect whatever I can to ripen inside for eating. We have had 2 nights of 34 for a low, tonight is 31 for a low. All the rest of the tomatoes will be chicken fodder.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've got pumpkin in the dehydrator. I was going to cube it and can it, but seems like I pulled a muscle in my arm the other day so figured I better not be doing any heavy lifting.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've got pumpkin in the dehydrator. I was going to cube it and can it, but seems like I pulled a muscle in my arm the other day so figured I better not be doing any heavy lifting.
Hope your arm gets better. I named my pressure canner, "The Beast" it is an All American #921 and it is HEAVY.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score

I pulled a muscle in my abdomen earlier this year and them made it worse. You don't want to do that. Be careful. Those canners can be heavy and you need both arms.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner ~ This is exactly why I bought a Presto canner. It's not near as heavy as the All American. I also bought the 16 qt instead of the larger one for the same reason. It's all I can do to lift it high enough to ease if off the stove onto the cabinet for cooling.

@baymule ~ I had thought about getting the All American, but I knew as time went on that I would be able to lift less & less weight. I went with a lighter weight canner. So far it works just fine for me.

What I do want is a steamer water bath canner. I have a glasstop stove, so can't get a steamer yet. Those water baths are freakin heavy!!

I've since done up another batch of dried pumpkin. I've got a few more that need to cure, and then I will probably go ahead and dehydrate them also. Sure takes up a lot less room.

Last edited: