What are you canning now?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tomorrow will finish up canning peppers and will can up a little bit of green beans(my granddaughter eats them like cookies...her fave finger food), the chickens from the freezer and will call about some free rabbits in the local free ads. If I can get my hands on them, they are in the jar by the end of the day....that's some free, good meat right there. :drool

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not canning, but using the dehydrator for the first time. Got a pint of dried up carrot bits and have 4 trays of tomato slices going now. My hope is to eventually have on hand all the stuff to replace those envelopes of 'seasoned' rice, instant dip, and varioius soup mixes.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beekissed, my son had to go to the farmer's market for the restaurant. He said organic heirloom tomatoes were $3.99lb. But said they get them at a better price since they buy in bulk and are regular customers. That's just too high for me to buy for canning salsa.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree! I'll be using the Romas out of my garden first, to see how much salsa and sauce they will yield, but for juicing and regular canned tomatoes, I'll certainly have to buy some. I'm very thankful that they are reasonably priced and that we aren't feeding a large family any longer.

Currently canning more hot pepper butter, green beans and meat cleaned out of the freezer consisting of bits of deer tenderloin, culled chickens from my flock and a few pieces of pork tenderloin not used in a cook out~just enough to fill three jars. All still good, but just odds and ends that weren't enough to fill a whole jar....these three jars should make for interesting eating later on.
big_smile.png
Will be sure to mark them for their mystery contents.

Currently canning more hot pepper butter, green beans and meat cleaned out of the freezer consisting of bits of deer tenderloin, culled chickens from my flock and a few pieces of pork tenderloin not used in a cook out~just enough to fill three jars. All still good, but just odds and ends that weren't enough to fill a whole jar....these three jars should make for interesting eating later on.
big_smile.png
Will be sure to mark them for their mystery contents.

Will move on to tomatoes next week and then back to more sweet corn the week after to finish out the garden harvest. Next will come apples then, hopefully, deer meat in the fall, then more chicken as I cull the flock of extraneous chickens before winter. LOVE how easy it is to preserve food for winter consumption! :drool

Pics of all the pretty colors growing on the shelves... :love

LL

LL

LL

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just explaining to my middle son how much more work canning was back in our homesteading days...simply light years away from how we do it now with all our modern conveniences that make things faster, less uncomfortably hot, less overall work.

When I think back on how much work Mom put in each summer canning up huge gardens without any running water or electricity and using a wood cook stove, it's humbling....that's called love with a capital "L". She's my hero! :bow

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finished up with 40 pts of hot pepper butter, so won't have to grow peppers next year and I also have enough to share with my brother.

Canned up what little green beans we had here, plus some given to me by my other brother and got 8 pts done. I don't like green beans but my little granddaughter loves them above all other foods right now, so she was the first to sample the "bean beans", as she calls them. Her mother and mine confirmed they were very flavorful and salted just right, so I consider that batch a success....I'd never canned beans before, though I had helped Mom do huge cannings of them when I was growing up.

Just glad to have freshly canned bean beans for the grandbaby when she visits here. :D

Also got 3 qts of mystery meats canned up and on the shelf. Slowly but surely those shelves are getting stocked and that's the addictive thing about canning....that feeling of satisfaction and joy at having food on the shelf that is better than one can get in the store. It makes me feel so rich! Same feeling I get when I gather eggs straight from the nest and know that not many out there have eggs that taste like these....free range and fermented feed makes for a clarity of flavor like no other, so I consider them "gourmet" quality and I know I could not afford to buy such things.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finished up with 40 pts of hot pepper butter, so won't have to grow peppers next year and I also have enough to share with my brother.

Canned up what little green beans we had here, plus some given to me by my other brother and got 8 pts done. I don't like green beans but my little granddaughter loves them above all other foods right now, so she was the first to sample the "bean beans", as she calls them. Her mother and mine confirmed they were very flavorful and salted just right, so I consider that batch a success....I'd never canned beans before, though I had helped Mom do huge cannings of them when I was growing up.

Just glad to have freshly canned bean beans for the grandbaby when she visits here. :D

Also got 3 qts of mystery meats canned up and on the shelf. Slowly but surely those shelves are getting stocked and that's the addictive thing about canning....that feeling of satisfaction and joy at having food on the shelf that is better than one can get in the store. It makes me feel so rich! Same feeling I get when I gather eggs straight from the nest and know that not many out there have eggs that taste like these....free range and fermented feed makes for a clarity of flavor like no other, so I consider them "gourmet" quality and I know I could not afford to buy such things.
I made the mistake of taking my yoga instructor some fresh eggs and now she keeps asking me if my chickens are laying. I took tomatoes and cucumbers to class last week and she said "I just want some eggs!"

Latest posts