What are you canning now?

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Tell me about zucchini jam, please.
Sure, I will gladly share the recipe.

Zucchini Jam
1,5 kilo / 53 ounces of peeled and cleaned zucchini, soft seedy part removed. Peel all the green away because it makes the jam look more appetizing.
1 package of gelling sugar special (500 grams for 1,25 kilo of fruit)
2 lemons
1 orange

Grate the zucchini and grate the lemon peel too. Juice the lemons and orange. Bring zucchini and the juice to a boil while strirring and boil for 10 minutes. Add the gelling sugar and boil the bubbly mixture 4 minutes more. Then it's ready to put in jars.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's interesting ...

I wonder how much I would like zucchini with lemon & orange flavor. I have never cared about zucchini in anything other than zucchini bread.

The plants are still looking puny, except for Butterbelly, the yellow crook-neck.

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
This year's pickle project started today, had enough okra to can 4 quarts of pickled okra. We have a 5-gallon pail of Emerite beans, so will do dilly beans tomorrow & freeze some...

... made 7 quarts of dilly beans.

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Too wet today due to rain; but since rain kept the temps down, we took advantage of that to catch up on more pickling. Canned 3 more quart jars of okra, and one jar of Bush Sitao beans as dilly beans. The Bush Sitao is an experiment, I think that yardlong beans & edible-pod cowpeas may make superior dilly beans. If successful, I will grow a lot more of them each year.

For okra that was too curved to be used for pickling, I cut off the stem end & put them in the dehydrator. I'll try one batch raw, and the next batch blanched before dehydration. Since part of the experiment is to produce a veggie snack, blanching may offer a better chance to add seasoning.
20200825_115731.jpg

Pentagreen okra for pickles

DW broke open the last jar of last year's Chinese Red Noodle dilly beans, she really loves them.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
*whew* finally able to get some more jars today, hopefully enough to finish up the harvest. still trying to find some more lids for jars we already have just in case.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
more tomatoes. i'm waiting for them to finish processing. the rejects from today's picking i was able to get 12 quarts done this evening which will make tomorrow go easier to not have to deal with those.

this may be the last big picking as the largest patch of tomatoes looks pretty well picked clean, at least according to Mom. i said that if she wanted to pull the plants she could do that and stack them so i could eventually get them buried.

there's a few plants in other spots that have some still left on them but we may only be canning one batch tomorrow and another in a few days when those on the table finish up ripening and that might be it.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I managed by sheer luck to get hold of Victoria plumes. I have never put them in a jar or canned them as you guys say. So would someone please link me or give me some clues on how to do this please? :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Marie2020 , back during the time when I was helping to manage a farmers' market, I was called in to the county office of the state university. The people there wanted me to know about their role in food safety. There had been lots of health problems associated with home food preserving especially by novices and they were there to help.

One university in every state has this responsibility and, at one time, they were required to have an office in every county. That has changed in more recent years with cost cutting. They continue to provide invaluable service.

This is from North Dakota State but I found it quoted a couple thousand miles away by another university office:

I have only canned fruit jam but work from online recipes often. I find it helps to print the recipes. The pdf files make that easy if you have a printer. If not, your public library may do that for you.

Steve

Latest posts