What are you canning now?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
BIT THE BULLET AND USED MY PRESSURE CANNER!!!!!!
:weee :weee :weee :weee :weee
COULDN'T have done it withOUT DD! She read the instructions and walked me through the process.
HOT DOG -- my glass stove top did NOT crack, like I was worried that it would.
Canned chili, btw.
Had a little trouble with the pressure and my burner. It was always above 10 pounds pressure, but mostly 13-14 pounds pressure. I'll have to work on that. Electric stove.
I was so proud, cleaned it all up after use and stored it clean in a new garbage bag, in the basement pantry, ready for the next use.

congratulations!!! That is a BIG DEAL!!! :woot:woot

I am so proud of you! That is wonderful. Now that you know what you can do, you will enjoy canning. I even can dry beans. Sometimes i want beans, but haven't the foresight to soak them the night before and simmer all day. BUT if I have them ready to go in a jar, I can have them NOW.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I canned chicken broth today. 7 quarts. I have chicken meat in the refrigerator, but didn't run the canner 1 1/2 hours for only 2 jars. I have chicken backs, wing tips, skin, livers, gizzards and hearts thawing in the sink tonight, will can dog food tomorrow. I need more quart jars! :barnie

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Marie2020 , canning fruit uses sugar as a preservative, and use a recipe that adds lemon juice, just to be sure. I have successfully canned pears AND peaches. Most fruit has natural sugar, and they WILL keep.
Be sure to store in a cool, dark place with as low humidity as you can find. 1st floor or basement will do, not the 2nd floor of your home, bc it gets too warm.
Thank you! :)

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ha, Ha!! As long as I have turkey AND dogs AND cats...I will Never be lonely.
Btw, when I was stripping the bones, the dogs got their share, one for Pyg, one for Eva, bits falling on the kitchen floor went to Tomkins, the cat.
Sounds a lot like my usual day with the sharing of food . I'm starting to meow woof and cluck just lately, even my neighbor's are starting to think this is a normal life. It is to me I'm more than content with my little brood 😺🐶🐶🐤🐣🐥

Last edited:

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm not canning anything right now but I shared a jar of cowboy candy with a friend and she loved it so much that she made some and canned it herself. I gave her the last of the jalapenos i harvested before the frost last week. She hasn't canned in years and is so excited and wants to try canning applesauce. It's so nice to share what little knowledge I have about preserving food with others.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
ALSO cooked down and froze 3 pie pumpkins. A few years ago I went to the INET to find out how to do this. I followed a recipe that called for pouring vegetable oil over the outside of the pumpkin before baking.
IT WAS A FxcXXXX Mess!! :rant
I got the method that I used yesterday from watching a P. Allen Smith video. HE suggested 3 pie pumpkins, one cookie sheet, poke lots of holes, bake for 45 minutes at 375 degrees.
Worked GREAT! No real mess.
Stems pulled right off, went to the burn barrel, which is my plastic, on wheels large trash can that I throw paper and other burnables in and lives near the washer/dryer.
Skins came Right off and went to the horses. (Yes, Virginia, they CAN eat pumpkin safely.)
Seeds were easy to remove.
Mashed pulp and FROZE it, per P. A. S.'s advice. He said that canning, like Libby does for the grocery store, is very difficult, but you can freeze for up to 5 months.

I have the dehydrator drying out the cleaned seeds for DD.
Otherwise I would walk away and forgot that they were in the oven...
and burn them.
I have a pink pumpkin, a white pumpkin, 2 orange pumpkins, and I am to receive a few more.
They will be processed the same, except that I will be saving their seeds for next year, so they will bake upside down sans their seeds.
I also have blue pumpkin seeds saved from 2019.
Hope that 2021 will be a BIIIIGGGG pumpkin year for me!!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have cooked down two more pumpkins since my last post. The first, a white pumpkin, wasn't quite cooked through, but brown on the edges. I froze it anyway and saved it's seeds.
The 2nd, a good sized orange pumpkin was cooked with aluminum foil for about 90 minutes. It's pulp tasted heavenly!
Seeds from that one are almost dried out. Since I don't use my oven every day, I have them drying in it on a pizza pan, bc it has small holes.
No worries about mice. My cats EAT close to the oven. Any mice near my oven are suicidal.

Latest posts