What are you canning now?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Currently pressure canning 12 pints of beef broth. I am improving each time, (I Hope.) This time I used hardened baby carrots, one full onion, several crushed cloves of garlic. I am trying to flavor my broth with what you might use in a broth based recipe. The jury is out on this, bc this is my first batch doing this.
1 pint is what I call, "stock." I didn't have enough broth for a 13th pint, so I watered it down, and used a wide mouth jar for it.
Ready tomorrow, so Photos tomorrow. :D

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Currently pressure canning 12 pints of beef broth. I am improving each time, (I Hope.) This time I used hardened baby carrots, one full onion, several crushed cloves of garlic. I am trying to flavor my broth with what you might use in a broth based recipe. The jury is out on this, bc this is my first batch doing this.
1 pint is what I call, "stock." I didn't have enough broth for a 13th pint, so I watered it down, and used a wide mouth jar for it.
Ready tomorrow, so Photos tomorrow. :D

garlic and ginger i prefer as more fresh flavors in dishes so i wouldn't bother much with them in broths as i knew i'd be adding them later anyways.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here are the tomatoes on Halloween, and here they are today, minus some that jumped down family's mouths.
I finished pressure canning broth, 1 I watered down and called it stock. Today I am about to pressure can beef "stock" by re cooking the same 5 beef bones, and I put it in one onion, crushed garlic and old carrots.
The jars are very hot, but I put them in the pressure canner with very hot tap water, and I will give it about an hour for the temperatures to equialize.
I will probably be cooking tomatoes And stock on the stove at the same time this afternoon.

Attachments

• Tomatoes ripening for canning, 10-31-22.jpg
    Tomatoes ripening for canning, 10-31-22.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Tomatoes for canning, 11-09-22.jpg
    Tomatoes for canning, 11-09-22.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 78
  • Beef Broth & 1 Stock, 11-08-22.jpg
    Beef Broth & 1 Stock, 11-08-22.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 78

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had fried chicken Wednesday night, favorite tavern, 20 minutes from the house. We had planned to go to a special showing of "They Shall Not Grow Old," a Peter Jackson masterpiece, IMHO, tells you all you need to know about WWI.
DH was eshausted from court all day, show DD decided we should watch our own copy at home, which we did.
I took all of the leftover chicken bones and parts and I started crock potting dog broth. Just finished pressure canning 6 jars, and I filled a 7th with all of the leftover meat pieces. I had thrown in an old chicken neck, too.
and I took the time today to separate leftover chicken pieces from the bones. One pint with chicken broth and meat is cooling on the counter to add to the dog's food tonight.
My little "Pyg" lost a lot of weight this summer. She came from a horse auction, we dead reckoned that her birthday was Thanksgiving, so she celebrates 15 years on the 24th. I need her to eat her kibble so I pour "dog broth" on it.
I am recooking the same bones with an onion, old carrots and fresh thyme. I am thinking that I can get some pints to make a nice chicken soup for two out of the leftovers.
I still need to get some celery this afternoon, but I might simply add celery seed to it for the flavor.
Here are some pictures. GOOD GOLLY I am feeling Amish today!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Attachments

• Chicken bone reuse 4 chiciken soup, #2, 11-12-22.jpg
    Chicken bone reuse 4 chiciken soup, #2, 11-12-22.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Chicken bone reuse 4 chiciken soup, #1, 11-12-22.jpg
    Chicken bone reuse 4 chiciken soup, #1, 11-12-22.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 80

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I added a sprig of fresh thyme and an old package of turkey pieces to the reused chicken bones and onion and carrots. Smelled HEAVENLY!! Just finished pressure canning it and we will label 5 of them, "Chicken Soup," and the 6th, a little watered down, will be "Chicken Stock," and DD will take it to store for use at her house.
I will be trying the chicken soup in the jar to make chicken noodle soup, probably Friday.
MUCH better than starting with just water. I will let you know how it turns out. :D

Latest posts