What are You Eating from the Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gai Lan ... of course, these were from the harvest just before the severe frosts but, I'm not sure how much it matters. Some of the plants are still in the garden and we will see how they do with Winter temperatures. Impressive plants. They may not have been any more productive than the Gypsy Broccoli but the veggie certainly makes for a sustained harvest and a nice change.

Now, some pumpkin pie ... oh well, that's not from the garden directly. There was a stop in the freezer on the way to the table. No, I didn't use a Jack o'Lantern pumpkin. The Champion Pumpkins were certainly meaty enough (& heavy!). DW said that it would have been okay if I had used the trimmings for bisque but we have enuf Winter squash for that.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
More BLT's before I can again.

Attachments

• Tomatoes, ripening for canning, 11-05-23.jpg
    Tomatoes, ripening for canning, 11-05-23.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 60

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_0815.jpeg
Stew. Everything, potatoes, carrots, celeriac, onions, garlic ... everything except the meat, salt and pepper ... is from the garden. It's a very common meal here at this time of year. It included beef broth, essentially from the same ingredients. Today's lunch was stew, the final snow peas from the fridge, and microwaved Winter squash.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Looks yummy!!:love
Somehow, mid 20th century cooks got away from making broth and moved to cooking meats in straight water.:sick:sick:sick
IF you or someone you know pressure cans, be sure to freeze any bones to save a few up and slow cook them, like in a crock pot for about a day with water and appropriate spices, then pressure can in pints.
OR freeze it.
We have started making everything with broth instead of water.
When you buy broth from the store, it comes in quarts and you end up throwing away 1/2 of it every time.
ALSO, it is laced with salt.
My broth is saltless.
Just some FYI.
You can ALSO make vegetable broth.

oberbrunner

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got a pretty awesome veggie lineup going on! We're into some basic stuff here – tomatoes, bell peppers, and basil are our go-tos. They make for some killer pasta sauces and salads.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
In the Thanksgiving meal and leftovers that we had yesterday – All from storage in one way or another:

Shallots in the stuffing.
Potatoes and Celeriac in the mashed potatoes.
Green Beans in thecasserole.
Cabbage, secondary buds, sauteed.
Winter Squash in the "pumpkin" pie.

DD took some leaf lettuce home that is growing in a greenhouse bed. She also took home the second pumpkin pie. Still leftovers in the fridge.

Steve

Latest posts