What are You Eating from the Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I like honey mustard but can't eat too much of it, @flowerbug .

Scotch kale isn't quite a favorite but it's a step up from mustard greens (hey, mustard :)!). We have been eating those greens quite a bit lately, they have been quite acceptable. Portuguese kale is a preferred veggie but it isn't quite as attractive in the flower garden.

BTW. Having a few kale plants in the flower beds is a first. I'm willing to use non-organic methods with flowers, protecting their beauty and all that. I didn't do that this year so after the flowers are gone in a week or so, the kale for table use will be fair game ;).

Steve

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We made Mexican Picadillo for supper tonight; it started with potatoes from the neighbors' garden, as well as some onions and ground beef. Then we added home grown Czech Black and Gypsy peppers, fresh garlic, and big chunks of Tangello tomatoes. This was a good use of these ultra firm, orange tomatoes. It made for a very colourful dish of simple comfort food. A friend had dropped of a jar of yummy green tomato salsa that she made, so we had some of that too. https://www.acouplecooks.com/green-tomato-salsa/

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The bread is from Lidl, the rest ingredients (lettuce, pumpkin and egg salad) are from the garden. :D
13621.jpg

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The other day I cut into what I thought was a Tip Top honeydew melon, and I was surprised to see that it was in fact a Winter King and Queen watermelon. I only got the one, so I saved the seeds; next year I will try to grow a whole bunch of these.

Attachments

• IMG_20231024_081450224.jpg
    IMG_20231024_081450224.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 64

FrannyNZooey

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ugh, work has got the best of me this last week. It's been intense with my normal work, but there's been some really tragic and upsetting personnel situations. Anywho, this morning I did make some scrambled eggs with minced chives from the garden, and topped them over warm rice. Simple and yum. Eggs are store bought since our chicks haven't layed yet. They're 23 weeks this week, so I think any time now?? But they could also push it to early next year when the light starts increasing, it's all just unknown. For another forum! This is our first year growing chives, so I'll be curious to see how long they stay viable to cut from the beds. I tried dehydrating some a month or so ago, and they came out so bitter.

Latest posts