What are You Eating from the Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_20200325_111854.jpg

Bok Choy!

Usually, just leave a few plants by accident and they either die or are so badly frost burned that they are pulled and tossed.

With the mildest winter that I can remember, these survived in fairly good shape. The hoophouse went over them a couple of days ago and it was time for the plants to make way for new plantings.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Munch Munch

Just sat down to them ... they went into some broth and boiled for about 2 minutes. Ramen noodles were added. An egg was cracked and dropped in to poach. Done.

More often, they are an ingredient in a stir-fry. These are better this way, a little too tender to stand up well to stirring and frying.

Steve

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Black Hamburg grapes...the last three bunches sit on the bench out of the way from the black birds and just out of Jacks reach too.
Still got Tangelos on the tree which is odd but they are so juicy.
My apple tree is loaded with its little fruit. I love apples but they dont really like me, so I can only handle eating little ones.
My new dehydrator arrived so its time to practise drying some for winter.
The Cherry tomatoes went nuts once they fell over the path and are still giving me a big bowlful at least every other day. Good thing Jack doesnt like them or he'd have gobbled the lot by now.
Beetroot only a few left. I have to get my sowings one in a more timely manner.
Potatoes. First time I have grown them in a tub so alot of them are quite small but just fab with herby butter.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
View attachment 34770
Bok Choy!

Usually, just leave a few plants by accident and they either die or are so badly frost burned that they are pulled and tossed.

With the mildest winter that I can remember, these survived in fairly good shape. The hoophouse went over them a couple of days ago and it was time for the plants to make way for new plantings.

Steve
My favorite veggie!! As a dark, leafy, cruciferous vegetable, bok choy is highly nutritious. It's packed with fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, but is very low in calories and carbohydrates and has almost no fat

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finishing the spaghetti squash from 2019 garden. Pleased that they are long-keepers, disappointed re: flavor.

Had the spaghetti a couple of nights ago. So, how am I finishing the squash this morning? I made pumpkin cornbread!

The blender did a good job turning it into a puree. It's good. I've used a Jack o'lantern pumpkin for my Half Moon Bay Pumpkin Bread. That works just fine. Howsomever, even this cornbread recipe is a little too sweet for an important addition to the diet.

A little secret, there is another Jack o'lantern pumpkin that still looks just fine in the basement! It is hard for me to believe how well those things keep down there on a shelf compared to the C. maxima from my garden ... but, I have gone on far too much about this on TEG the last 6 months ;).

Pumpkin cornbread.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had a little problem with parsnip sprouting in late winter, @seedcorn .

They seemed just a little happier with growing in cold temperatures than the carrots. That's whether I have crammed them in the crisper drawers of two refrigerators or had them in a backyard pit. Really, they have done just fine and I didn't have to be skeered of them like I am with sprouting potatoes.

Parsnips were another lesson for me on what could grow here.

Steve

Latest posts