What are You Eating from the Garden?

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've had a little problem with parsnip sprouting in late winter, @seedcorn .

They seemed just a little happier with growing in cold temperatures than the carrots. That's whether I have crammed them in the crisper drawers of two refrigerators or had them in a backyard pit. Really, they have done just fine and I didn't have to be skeered of them like I am with sprouting potatoes.

Parsnips were another lesson for me on what could grow here.

Steve
Pre-sowing Parsnips germination Spray the seeds on the surface and place the lid on. Place your tub in a dry, dark place. After 5 days of daily testing for sprouted seeds. When chitted it is important for the seeds to be sown promptly and well watered to ensure that the soil or compost is in contact.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Forgot, last of the 2019 okra was eaten with the turkey last Saturday. I got 4 meals out of that 20 pound turkey and, if I defrost and refreeze in correct sized batches, I will get 3 more turkey pot pies out of it, which means 7 meals/one 20 lb bird. Just some FYI, bc nobody is buying turkey in the grocery stores.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okra and turkey? Interesting combo. Like both, just never paired them together.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn , I haven't grown parsnips for about 4 or 5 years and didn't have all that many back then.

They weren't like some of the "carrot years" when I carried wheelbarrow loads out of the garden and even fed them to livestock. 2019 was such a surprisingly good year for carrots that I am willing to try the parsnips again (in the gravel).

Cooperative Extension recommends 32°f storage temperatures with the admonition of "do not freeze!" I don't know where I have storage like that but didn't have enough parsnips to keep them into a new year but once or twice.

I can't leave the distant gardens without clearing so, except for the 3 beds in my backyard, overwintering isn't an option. We did get smart enough to plant some kale and, I'll go ahead and say it, collards in the backyard beds the last few years. Of course, the kale comes through. I didn't expect the collards to and they may not during a normal winter.

Speaking of collards - how is that vegetable accepted at the Seedcorn table?

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m good with collards. Just crops like kale that has zero flavor and is tough as cardboard.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i picked some green garlic today to go with my ham and cheese. dang that was good. :) something about the first greens of the season...

Latest posts