What are You Eating from the Garden?

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I ate nothing but junk today, I'm not up to par to be honest with you. Yesterday a woman passed me by at the church and her deodorant and cigarette made me uncontrollably cough, at the same time some sort of fly decided to get into my rather large nose and I couldn't get is out until I used my salt and vinegar nose wash.

My junk food consisted of tin mushroom soup and another kitkat. The heinz tin looked disgusting but I felt weak and was hungry so it had to do.

I really must get down to putting food into jars for times like today, just like you clever people in here.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had to pull all the plants from the greenhouse because of aphid infestation. Does anyone know of a cover crop that I can plant that might help control the aphids? I dont mind washing off a few aphids from each leaf but I just cant deal with the whole underside of leaf covered in those little buggers.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had to pull all the plants from the greenhouse because of aphid infestation. Does anyone know of a cover crop that I can plant that might help control the aphids? I dont mind washing off a few aphids from each leaf but I just cant deal with the whole underside of leaf covered in those little buggers.

no cover crop that i know of will get rid of aphids, but the normal predators can greatly help reduce their numbers. what i do here is keep an area called an insect refuge every so often so that all gardens have a bit of space next to them where the beneficial insects can survive when the rest of the gardens are rather bare. as of yet this has worked well in that i rarely see more than a few aphids on any of the garden plants.

inside a greenhouse this would be perhaps a few larger strategically placed perennial plants with some chunks of bark mulch to give the good bugs places to hide.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Dahlia , I have eaten wild stinging nettle and bought a package of nettle tea in the past. Both had the same reaction from me, "Wait a Minute. This tastes like spinach!" (Won't be buying it as tea, again ;).)

My first vegetable from the garden will likely be chives for scrambled eggs, as usual. I can see from a short distance that some saved chard plants have survived our mild winter. Maaybeee, they will grow some useable leaves. Intend to try overwintering spinach every year, @Artichoke Lover . Always forget to sow seeds.

Once again, collards are living through the winter with some Scotch and Italian kale (some Italian kale plants have died). I guess that I should count them as "first" but we could've been eating on the Scotch kale "thru" the winter ...

DW brought some collard leaves from the backyard beds in, yesterday. Today, she says that she is enthusiastic to cook them.

Steve

Latest posts