What are You Eating from the Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we used up 2 of the 3 tubs of strawberries i picked a few weeks ago. oh they were good and yes i had 2nds. :)

and i got to share some pea pods with a few family members who'd not had these kind before - they all liked them. one family member doesn't like peas so she didn't even try them. *sad face*

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn I meant to post photos earlier on my corn but this will have to do. I plant corn every two weeks or so to spread it out so I get corn through most of the summer. This is my sixth planting of Bodacious. Spacing is the same and I fertilize heavily with slow-release nitrogen. Side-dress a couple of times, usually when I'm planting the next batch. Soil is pretty sandy so I expect it leaches out in our rains.

Same thing is happening this year as happened last year. I'll plant 15 seeds and get a nice ear off of most plants the first three plantings or so. After that I may be lucky to get a decent ear off of half the plants. I hand pollinate, I mean it's only 15 plants, but some plants do not even silk. Some of the ears that do set on are just nubbins. I don't think it is the spacing because the earlier ones do fine, I think it's the heat. I've had trouble growing other things in the middle of summer down here that I did not expect.

For the first time down here I got some corn ear worms. It's been such a joy to not have to fool with them. But two of these three had an ear worm, exactly the same color. I suspect one moth found these at just the wrong time. Still damage was minimal and flavor was good.

Corn.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Green Beans!

DW and I had big servings of Jade bush beans. They had so many flowers on them that it was misleading. There were young tender beans ... and, obviously, more to come. The Cascade Giant (Rattlesnake) pole beans are still busy climbing. I've grown those and saved seed just about as long as @baymule has had those Thai #3 :).

And, a Tomato! Yes, only one - something new. Sweet Treats. I didn't expect one of those to ripen before the Sungolds. I've been looking for a pink cherry that doesn't split ever so long. When I saw this one had changed from a blush to pink, I couldn't see if it might have cracked. It was a drop of water ;). Very tasty little tomato.

Both the tomato plants and beans are doing well.

Steve

Latest posts