What are You Eating from the Garden?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We had an olde fella on TEG from Oklahoma, originally from the East Coast, but living in southern California to be near his son and family. @hoodat talked about callaloo ;).

One of the amaranths that I tried might have been the same as grown and known as callaloo in some places. None of the other varieties did well. Even if this is probably an ornamental variety, it is not one with the very large blooms.

Different tastes! No, I'm not a fan of pickled beets. In fact, it's only been recently that I have been interested in eating beet roots once they are beyond marble-size. Although, I have eaten beet thinnings from childhood. Tastes change, don't you think?

:) Steve

Yes! When I was 15 years old I had dinner at a friend's house, where I was offered some beets. I said yes as I liked them, my mum pickled them. They handed me a dish of them, and they looked a little different but I took a bite anyway. They were warm, and had butter on them - it took my full mortal strength to not immediately deposit the mouthful back up onto the dish. I had never eaten a beet warm, or cooked as a side vegetable - only pickled cold like a dill. It was a trauma. 😂

Now I eat 'em cooked though.

BeanWonderin

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Radishes and snow peas are our first harvest from the planted garden this year.

172190E8-ACE2-49B1-A491-7048886E0DD0.jpeg

F7F1D0C3-CF00-4208-8D2D-1003A05D0BCE.jpeg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes! When I was 15 years old I had dinner at a friend's house, where I was offered some beets. I said yes as I liked them, my mum pickled them. They handed me a dish of them, and they looked a little different but I took a bite anyway. They were warm, and had butter on them - it took my full mortal strength to not immediately deposit the mouthful back up onto the dish. I had never eaten a beet warm, or cooked as a side vegetable - only pickled cold like a dill. It was a trauma. 😂

Now I eat 'em cooked though.

i've always cooked the beets here when pickling them. steamed with onions on top and then added pickling brine, then sealed. since we like sweet and sour we normally added some sugar to those.

i get a good laugh about your reaction above because yes that is quite a contrast in expectations. in the cooking and canning groups this one person refers to pickled beets as PBDC's Pickled Boiled Dirt Chunks and you can tell that they didn't like them, but my response to the comment about beets tasting like dirt is "So?" because i still like them and have my whole life. :)

i also have to laugh about my brother calling the doc after eating a lot of beets because his pee was the wrong color.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW is making cabbage rolls for lunch, today. They are already in the steamer on the stove. (Good thing that it was a cool morning of 56° and still below 70. :))

In the process of downsizing, we didn't grow a late cabbage this year. The little Tiara are lightning quick so some cabbage rolls will have to go in the freezer. Not having a late type is okay with DW; she much prefers the early. Now, she is dealing with an especially small one ;).

When I lived out in the sticks, I had cabbage rolls in abundance during the early winter - desperate to use up the cabbage. Had meat, onions, bought rice, had tomatoes ripening on the kitchen counter (frozen sauce today). DW likes to use those cellophane noodles and that's fine but I miss the Worcestershire sauce ;).

Steve