What are You Listening to?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_20230415-083616_kindlephoto-59015654.png

;) It could be the sounds of nature while we are gardening. Of course, we are nearly to the Winter Solstice in the Northern Hemisphere so many us are not gardening or even outdoors much.

When you are doing some things, maybe solitary maybe shared, entertainment or informational, what is it likely to be?

My use of hearing aids began in the 1980's. Recently, I acquired new ones and they can be connected by Bluetooth to my phone. So, they are like earbuds. For me, as for many young people, music was important during my teens and early adulthood. That changed with hearing loss and hearing aids didn't do much to put music back to any importance.

Indoor exercise brought back some of the desire to listen to music. I find exercise for exercise's sake, boring repetition, repetition, repetition ... Might I please have some distraction? Wow. The new hearing aids provide it! Mostly, it is with instrumentals or primarily instrumentals. That's okay with me since that was much of the music of my youth and, hey, the beat helps with the repetition ;).

I have been trying alittle radio listening – a station that I haven't listened to for 30+ years. It hasn't been that long ago for Talk Radio and I may be able to go back to that. But, there are also podcasts now! The Bluetooth is primarily or totally through Apple devices, I'm not really sure. Television watching hasn't improved much with me still reading captioning but I may be able to  cast shows on to screens or use the iPad, that i otherwise find so little use for. What do you suggest? I fear that I missing out!

Steve
2021-12-10_18-04-04_070.png

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
when i was listening to podcasts i really enjoyed the story times, so radio shows like Snap Judgement, This American Life, The Moth Radio Hour, Science Friday, and i am sure there are more now, all the names may be a bit different because i'm going from memory here... i got burned out on most news shows since they seemed to be more repetitive and not very informative. when i got back to moving around more again i got out of the habit of listening to podcasts and then when i moved out here to the country where dialup was the only internet connection i had for years i could not really download podcasts easily so i fell out of the habit and then music became and almost all day thing and i really got out of it and all talk show listening because of how the radio went too much commercials or too much talk when we just wanted music. tell me what the song is and play the music - i don't want to hear musical commentary...

for us here it being Christmas season Mom likes music on to go along with her quilting and napping so we have certain Christmas music that i can tolerate and that becomes background music for a few hours, and then we have what we call sleepy time music when Mom naps and that also is background music. i rarely play the music that is the progressive rock of my youth, it's just a bit too much for Mom so i save that for times when i want something different, i can watch a few videos online here or there at lower volume but it's not really the same, but i have them in my memory anyways. i also have my entire music cd collection on the computer so i can pick from that. some of it is classical or more folk or storyteller type music (no bluegrass i can't do that for more than a song or two at a time before i have to listen to something else).

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like this, too, but I didn't understand what the lyric means, especially the 'X' and 'Y' part, my poor poor math....

@flowerbug Would you please throw me some light on this? Thank you thank you~
🌷

i'm sorry, i don't know the character or the show at all. if he is a Vulcan then he's supposedly a logical thinker and not emotional? so perhaps it is alluding to that and he's saying he's feeling and now an unknown in an equation? that is about where i get with it. does reading the comments below that video help at all?

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i'm sorry, i don't know the character or the show at all. if he is a Vulcan then he's supposedly a logical thinker and not emotional? so perhaps it is alluding to that and he's saying he's feeling and now an unknown in an equation? that is about where i get with it. does reading the comments below that video help at all?
True, I forget that the comments below would be helpful, thanks!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Listening to an oldies radio station this morning. Good Grief! It does take me back.

The  Young Rascals , the Drifters "under the boardwalk, out of the sun ..." I can hardly believe that there are still stations playing this 🎶. Too much. Too, too much.

DJ's monologs drift beyond my comprehension, at times. Catching 1 word out of 10 with some of them. Dialogs, talking overeachother, laughs, beyond the pale for yours truly. But, that's okay. I have choices. The horizon broadens.

:) 🤳.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Listening to an oldies radio station this morning. Good Grief! It does take me back.

The  Young Rascals , the Drifters "under the boardwalk, out of the sun ..." I can hardly believe that there are still stations playing this 🎶. Too much. Too, too much.

DJ's monologs drift beyond my comprehension, at times. Catching 1 word out of 10 with some of them. Dialogs, talking overeachother, laughs, beyond the pale for yours truly. But, that's okay. I have choices. The horizon broadens.

:) 🤳.

i watch a lot of youtube videos with the subtitles on and the volume pretty low so i'm not usually able to hear every word. when i do come across a song or topic where i really do need to hear it louder i bookmark it and wait until later when i can play it louder.

Latest posts