what are you planting in your veggie garden this year?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I forgot 2 things that should have been a given for Gardening with Rabbits and my part of the world: potatoes and beets (but no, not sugar beets :p).

The spud selection is still up in the air since I haven't checked yet on what Potato Garden will charge to send seed to me. I'd also better get to Irish Eyes' website in WA state. The local garden center's selection has just become a source of vexation :/. Beets will be Red Ace but I should be planting Perpetual Spinach seed, too. Hey! Perpetual Spinach counts either as a beet or as chard . . . & I don't care much for chard ;).

You should know that I haven't seen a sugar beet field around here for years. They used to be here. There were even sugar beet processing plants - smoky things.

& Gardening with Rabbits padded her list with flowers!

Steve
I really am not that fond of chard or beets, but making myself eat more of a variety, but I am also growing things for the rabbits. I did pickle quite a few beets last year for us. I do not have much room, but I am thinking of a row of corn.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
WOW I am not as specific as everyone I saved a lot of seeds and don't know all the names
I have already started
Pumpkin, small baking
Butternut squash the seeds I saved froma gardener down the street the squash was HUGE!
Bush green Italian beans
Bush Wax beans
blue potatoes
red skinned potatoes
Yukon gold potatoes
sweet potatoes
Zucchini
asparagus
yellow squash
Roma tomatoes and Big red tomatoes
several herbs, basil, dill, oregano, rosemary, mint, chamomile,
Strawberries Peaches,
figs

I am very excited hoping to grow enough for my family for the year
Potatoes are already growing int he basement. and the beans and squash are started in the kitchen!!
:celebrate

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
tomatoes
lettuce
radishes
spinach
beets
snap peas
beans
carrots
zucchini
cabbage
brussell sprouts
kohlrabi
okra
corn
pumpkins
acorn squash
hubbard squash

Many of these are from saved seeds.

I'm only going to start some of them indoors, and direct sow the others, EXCEPT for the squash. I'm gonna HAVE to get some row covers. 3 years straight of squash bug detruction, even with rotation and replacing the soil.

I established my asparagus bed last year. Can't wait to see what grows this Spring there!

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This probably belongs in the herb section but I am also growing an Herbal Tea garden.

Catnip
Chamomile
Lemon Balm
Wild Bergamot
Echinacea
Peppermint
Lemon Mint
Anise Hyssop

Then I am also growing my regular as well. Oregano, Basil, Lemon Basil, Sage, Chives, Parsley, and Marjoram. Hoping to try rosemary again.

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, after our in-ground garden didn't work out so well last year, we are going to add more raised beds this year. The 2 raised beds I have used for the past 2 years were great, so our big plan is to put in 2 or 3 more each year until we have enough for everything we want to grow.

This year, if all goes according to plan, we will be planting:

asparagus (Jersey Supreme)
tomatoes
cucumbers (going to try these down by the horse pasture so they have plenty of room)
basil
cilantro
lettuce
pak choy
summer squash
winter squash (also down by the horse pasture)
radishes
carrots
beans
snap peas

The trick is figuring out what to put where! :hu

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
HunkieDorie23 said:
This probably belongs in the herb section but I am also growing an Herbal Tea garden.

Catnip
Chamomile
Lemon Balm
Wild Bergamot
Echinacea
Peppermint
Lemon Mint
Anise Hyssop

Then I am also growing my regular as well. Oregano, Basil, Lemon Basil, Sage, Chives, Parsley, and Marjoram. Hoping to try rosemary again.
I want an update on that garden--DD's and I drink a lot of hot tea, especially in the winter. :D

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been going through my seed stash - veggies and flowers. Whew! No way I can plant even 10% of what I have.

This time of year my eyes are always bigger than my 'get up and go' come spring and DH leaves the gardens to me so I can't undertake nearly as much as I'd want. Dratted old age creeping in along with carpel tunnel in both wrists and CHF. I just can't do everything myself.

So, while I have plans to expand my growing space outside the garden fencing, I don't know how much I'll actually get done. That's where my exercising and strengthening comes in. I am hoping I'll be ready when the weather permits.

Love, Smart Red

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know what you mean. I gonna go through my stash this weekend, and see what's left from 2012. I'm also gonna start flowers that I want to put inbetween my vegetables to help with pollination and to help keep down weeds. Among them, I have calundula, marigold and sweet pea seeds, and I've become a habitual "pull out the geraniums every Fall and keep them going inside" gardener. I did that one year, but I started them too late to do any good. THIS year they go out in May.

Latest posts