What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
howdy all!!! :frow

This week I unloaded another truckload of composted horsie poop into my raised beds.

In two 4 x 8 beds today I planted a block of carrots, lettuce, onion sets, beets and I direct seeded some Ca. wonder peppers. I can only hope those come up. :fl Still a bit cold but I'm going to give it a go.

I plan to let the big beds settle and water in the compost for the next month then I should be good to go!!

:clap :tools :watering

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
By the way.. I was down at the pier the other day (daughter had a dental appt) and was reading an issue of Southern magazine which had an article on tomato's (hierloom?).. They had some varieties to suggest many going back to the 1800's so they claim.. Anyone tried any of these varieties?

1) Millers Cover Current -- a type of cherry tomato dating back to the 1840's

2) Cherokee Purple -- named after the indians of the same name -- from the 1880's

3) Arkansas Traveler -- claims to be a good variety for fried green tomato's so they claim (and other claims)

4) Hillbilly - a variety from West Virginia dating to the 1880's

5) Aunt Ruby's German Green -- can get to 1lb or more -- beef steak variety

I've not tried any of these -- just passing along in case someone wants to try something else.. I suspect a google search for any of these will turn up the people that are selling them.. I can provide links if needed -- I've obviously got no relation to any of them..

hiker125

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Rick F- I grew Cherokee purple last year. Seemed like they were slow to take off- but that could have been because it got so HOT so early. They have a tendency to crack a little, but the taste is wonderful. Great for slicing and eating with fresh mozzerella and basil.

I am making myself hungry. I think that I will start some tomato plants tonight. Can't wait for fresh ones again.:p

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This week I planted some Swiss Chard, Spinach, Kale and some wild flower seeds in the little garden at the congregation. It looks pretty bleak at the moment. But, when it begins to heat up, I am hoping for lots of color!!

This is looking to the south, from the door of the screened in porch.
along the back wall, I planted about 30 Strawberry plants. All of them came from my garden here at home. That is a bare Apricot tree in the ring.

11211BeforelookingSouthemail.jpg

This is taken from the back gate. not that great of a view.
11211BeforelookingNortheastemail.jpg

And this is taken from the side wall. It shows my pitiful Meyer Lemon tree, that is hanging on...

11211BeforelookingEastlemonTreeemail.jpg

When things begin to sprout, I will show you how it looks...

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just started my starts indoors for both cool season and warm season stuff. Cool season stuff will be ready to plant outside in mid march, and warm season stuff will be in mid may.

And I've just started about 20 goji plants from fruit I stole out out of the pot my mom was starting to boil. LOL Genuine seeds from china. Never knew they were a fad thing, we've eaten them in soups forever, so when I learned they were "special" and not just those mushy floaty things in soup, I just had to try and grow some. LOL

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
silkiechicken said:
And I've just started about 20 goji plants from fruit I stole out out of the pot my mom was starting to boil. LOL Genuine seeds from china. Never knew they were a fad thing, we've eaten them in soups forever, so when I learned they were "special" and not just those mushy floaty things in soup, I just had to try and grow some. LOL
I just ordered a goji plant.... And hope to be able to get it to grow here. Did your seeds sprout? I heard they do better from taking cuttings of an existing plant. How fast did the seeds sprout?

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yep, they sprouted in about a week. Probably about a 25% germination rate. The dried fruits are at least 2 years old though. We get them in 5lb bags in the international district so they lats a while. Many were immature seeds too.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
silkiechicken said:
Yep, they sprouted in about a week. Probably about a 25% germination rate. The dried fruits are at least 2 years old though. We get them in 5lb bags in the international district so they lats a while. Many were immature seeds too.
Thanks!! That is good to know. I will look forward to making a small "grove" of them

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today I started a tray of seeds (with a little help from my 9yo). I planted:

Blue jade corn
Asparagus beans
Hidatsa shield figure beans
Calypso beans
Ireland creek annie beans
Amish paste tomatoes
Pantano romanesco tomatoes (I got these from a local swap and I'm not sure of the spelling)
Beefsteak tomatoes
Buttercup squash
Yellow straightneck squash
Sugar pie pumpkin
Scallop squash
Cayanne pepper
Georgia flame peppers
An heirloom pepper mix that I got from a swap here on TEG.

I only hope that I can find space for it all in my gardens. I have more that I will be direct seeding when I have my front garden set up sometime this coming week. We are putting in some raised beds and we are going to use some blocks as a barrier to keep mulch inbetween the beds and I will be able to plant in the holes of the blocks as well.

Latest posts