What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today I planted 4 rows of potatoes :D . I planted some storage potatoes and some fingerling potatoes. I planted them earlier this year then last year which is good. Didn't get that very many potatoes last year. Has anyone tried growing fingerlings?,their suppose to have a very good tasting quality to them.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted them for the first time, last year. I have them in the ground, again this year. I thought they were the most delicious potatoes I had ever had! Dug early, they are fabulous, as new potatoes. They are not very good keepers- but if you have a pressure canner, they make great canned potatoes!
Enjoy!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
I planted them for the first time, last year. I have them in the ground, again this year. I thought they were the most delicious potatoes I had ever had! Dug early, they are fabulous, as new potatoes. They are not very good keepers- but if you have a pressure canner, they make great canned potatoes!
Enjoy!
I bet if fingerling potatoes are that good they won't make it to be stored :gig, I'll make a nice meal with them.

Thanks, I hope I'll get a nice harvest from them ;) .

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Enjoy!
Is there a trick to canning potatoes? I tried one year, and lost every can.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted a couple blueberry bushes today and some celery. :weee Going to visit North Carolina tomorrow, plan on planting some bushes and other nice things on my property while I'm there, can't wait :D .

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gee, I am sorry about that grandbabies. The only "trick" is that you need a pressure canner. It was one of the first things I tried and they came out fine. What happened to yours?

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Gee, I am sorry about that grandbabies. The only "trick" is that you need a pressure canner. It was one of the first things I tried and they came out fine. What happened to yours?
It was my first time to can potatoes, they all spoiled and popped opem. I am an experienced canner-could not have raised my family without doing it- and always had success, but not with those potatoes. I am a fanatic about clean food handling, prep work etc, I maybe misunderstood time or pressure required. They were the small ones , I stored the large ones, , but thought it would be handy to work up the little ones, for quick meals..may try again after studying up on it.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
sparks said:
With potatoes and canning, I think a very important aspect is the head space!
Its been a few summers back, so I dont remember what I did about headspace, but will definately add that to my list of things to consider next time!!

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today, we added a row of peanuts to try, 12 sweet pepper plants and 4 jalapenos. dill,yesterday we did cucumbers, green beans, some radishes, carrots.
SIL is prepping the tomato bed for tomorrow, if it dont rain!!

Latest posts