What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everything that can take a frost is in the garden! Asters, that will shrug off only very light frosts, went out yesterday. Watered everything in well then, rain began to fall.

Another sunny day is prescribed but a warm and rainy weekend is in the forecast. There may be 3 days above 70F this week - the first we've seen of this temperature in 2011!

What happens after the rain stops is a guess but, maybe, warm-season plants can go out next week! I don't remember digging tomato planting holes with a posthole digger before but, if there ever was a time :rolleyes:, it will be this spring!

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
TOMATOES ARE IN!!!! I'm going for broke today. We tilled last night...it was just dry enough. The rain's supposed to hold off until 6pm. Hopefully I'll get it all in today. Then it can rain all it wants!! :plbb

I restricted myself to 28 tomato plants. This was hard for me, LOL. 7 are San Marzano, 7 are Costoluto Genovese (sauce tomatoes). 2 each of the following: Super Sweet 100, Golden Egg, Black Plum, Delicious, Black Krim, Ultimate Opener Hybrid (super early!), and Mortgage Lifters. I put the SS 100's on either end of their row so we can graze on them as we pass by to the chicken coop. :cool:

I was also careful to not crowd them this year (if you saw my tomato jungle pics last year, you'll know what I'm talking about.) I did single rows this time and left room to run the tiller down the path if needed to control weeds.

Took a little break to cool off, now it's back to work! :tools

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We managed to get 20 tomatoes in before the rains started evening before last, so they are having cloudy days to get used to their new summer home(the garden).
Ours are mostly as usual-Goliath, Big Beef, and a few Abe Lincoln, this year we are going to also do celebraty,and some experimental ones that were given to me at an ag show. I will have to contact the vendor, as their tags were missing when I got home.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm like Journey - in for a marathon session before it rains again! Tilled on Thurs, started putting in the tomatoes & corn yesterday. Today I'm going to get as much in as I can (cukes, zukes, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, beans, squash, peppers) today. We've got a brand new garden at our new farm, and it looks HUGE now. I'm sure it's not going to look quite so big once everything is in it!

CountryGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Now that the garden is dry enough, I planted 32 cabbage plants and 50 broccoli. Tomorrow the tomatoes will go in. I don't know how the cabbage and broccoli will do since they should have been planted weeks ago but we shall see. At least we're done with the downpours we have been having. It was so nice to be able to be outside working in the yard and garden.:weee

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Round 2, got in some of my pepper plants, all my eggplants and ground cherries. Had a quick, light rain, but I got back out there....put in 4 blueberry plants and 4 raspberries (finally!!) All the while, the thunder was rumbling in the background.

Got all my tools and stuff put up as the first sprinkles were falling -- I shook my fist, laughed at the sky and said GO AHEAD, BRING IT ON!

And boy, oh boy, did it. It's pouring the rain right now! http://youtu.be/Oyg7n-4nS-U

Kinda handy to not have to water my transplants. It's supposed to rain all week now, which should help them get off to a good start. I can quit stressin' for a while, now that I got something done.

I suppose if I couldn't plant another thing, I'd be happy enough as long as I had some tomatoes. ;) I'm so glad the rain held off for a couple of days. I feel sane again.

I've still got all the squash/cukes/melons, beans, corn, carrots, etc. to go. Would you believe I don't have any lettuce right now? Maybe I should have filled a few pots with some, just to get by. I wouldn't have guessed this spring would have been so relentlessly rainy. You think it's got to stop sometime.

I'm hoping those blueberries and raspberries will amount to something. They sat around an awfully long time and should have gone in sooner. I hope they'll live, otherwise I am out $40! :/

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got two apple trees and a plum in the ground!! And I found a place that has Dutchman Pipe Vine. I am so excited. She is going to call me when they are ready!! Nothing but rain for the next week....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
journey11 said:
. . .

Got all my tools and stuff put up as the first sprinkles were falling -- I shook my fist, laughed at the sky and said GO AHEAD, BRING IT ON!

And boy, oh boy, did it. It's pouring the rain right now! http://youtu.be/Oyg7n-4nS-U

Kinda handy to not have to water my transplants. . .
Yes, that certainly should have settled in those transplants!

digitS'

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
finally got my cukes and squash seeds into peat pots...no other planting but I am turning my garden by hand...a foot at a time at my age I do a little at a time...will have it all dug by the time the cukes are ready to go in the ground...after last frost...

Latest posts