What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, my garden is HALFWAY in... I planted the last of the peppers last night and got all my tomatoes staked. 2 long rows containing peppers/eggplant/groundcherries/late cabbage and 2 rows of various tomatoes in, all with the black fabric mulch down already, which is a major score on my part--mulching early!

We weren't SUPPOSED to get any rain until tomorrow, but we just had a random pop-up thunderstorm, so there goes my plans to direct sow the other things this evening. I've still got corn, cukes, carrots, beans, squash, watermelon and pumpkins, etc. to go... But those seeds will go in quickly now, compared to the transplants. I've had to prioritize between all this rain!

It's really a bummer though, because my neighbor came and got DD to go play with her granddaughter for the whole afternoon. I was really looking forward to some "me" time! :p

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sounds good to me journey! ;)

I actually planted some Winter Squash and Summer squash today, romaine lettuce, and cabbage plants.
Theirs one variety of winter squash I planted that's called Sun Spot looks pretty interesting.
Yesterday I hilled my potatoes, I hope I did that on time.

:tools

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We went from too much rain to hot and dry. They were predicting rain and a lowering of temps for a few days, so I went out and did a succession planting of green beans, also did a short row of okra and a short row of swiss chard. Then got run out of the garden by heavy thunder and some lightening near by..ugg I guess it was just a threat, the whole thing went by with only a sprinkle, circled back sprinkled a little more then left the area.:he
They are predicting storms tonight, which we dont want, but sure could use a good rain, watering is just not the same.:watering

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We dont usually plant trees this time of year, prefer fall or early spring, but got a maple tree on 1/2 price sale at Orschlens and planted it this morning. We are calling it our anniversary tree...

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I like your name 4grandbabies. If I did that thought I'd have to say 34grandbabies. We'll be in MO the 22nd and 23rd for my granddaughters graduation from basic training with the army. She likes MO except for the tornado scares. It's greener there than it is here in CA but the past five years she's lived in WA which is green like MO but no tornadoes.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
desertwillow said:
I like your name 4grandbabies. If I did that thought I'd have to say 34grandbabies. We'll be in MO the 22nd and 23rd for my granddaughters graduation from basic training with the army. She likes MO except for the tornado scares. It's greener there than it is here in CA but the past five years she's lived in WA which is green like MO but no tornadoes.
I always wanted to visit the WA area!! I hear about the weather. You are blessed to have so many grandbabies, everyone so wonderful in their own right. I only have 2 children tho, so I dont theink they would have went for 34 grandbabies between them lol:ep

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
No, I don't think your two children would have wanted to give you that many grandchildren but I had 7 and I remarried and my husband had 4 by another wife. Even so, 20 of them are mine. There are two greats on my hubby's side.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ehem! Getting back to gardening . . .

Greenthumb18 said:
. . . Yesterday I hilled my potatoes, I hope I did that on time.

:tools
I hilled the potatoes with compost today, Greenthumb. Put down a little organic fertilizer even tho' most are growing fine and 1 or 2 are even showing flower buds! Those early varieties are sooooo quick!

Yesterday, I planted a little shallot seed. It seems strange planting seed for an onion-type veggie at this time but, it seemed worth a try. The purple Picador shallots did fine last year from seed. I used their bulbs as sets and they are looking fabulous! May as well try to get a few more bulbs to set out in 2012!

Picador is one of 2 purple varieties that I've got. The Prisma were sown 2 years ago, I guess it was. They have come back nicely as sets but I had more Picador seed and think they might be just a step up from the Prisma. Anyway, they are both really showing up the old French Greys!

Steve

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digits,
You hilled your potatoes too thats good ;) . I think your suppose to hill them 2 times, so in a few more weeks you would hill them again. Mine plants were around 12" before I hilled, how big were yours? I had to thin out the potato plants too. I just hope I didn't hill them too late, how big do they have to be in order to hill?

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
yes, to get back to gardening.....I hilled my potatoes several weeks ago. This morning I picked one summer squash and two zucchinis and the last of the peas. I planted more radishes and fertilized my tomatoes.