What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted Sugar Snap Peas yesterday. Wanted to wait till the moon was in waxing stage, just hoping to improve my chances. Last week during the waning moon I planted carrots and winter radishes. Radishes jumped out of the ground. I did see some of the carrots coming up. Will try to do better at keeping them watered, as per the other thread on carrots. I think I will plant spinach about 6" away from the peas, since I have that area prepared. That should give each enough room, don't you think, as there is a fence for the peas? I am still fighting the mole in the garden, having to stomp down the runs every morning and evening. We have traps, but the soil is too loose in the garden for the trap to be effective.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So... I know it's SUPER DUPER late in the season... but yesterday I planted a bunch of lettuce... and today after church I'm going to put in some carrots, cabbage, garlic, and possibly onions. Garlic is SUPPOSED to be planted in the fall, correct?? I can just take the garlic from my fridge (which is organic I believe) and stick it in the ground?? Is that how that works? LOL

We're planning on getting some PVC pipe and some plastic and covering it when frost threatens and hopefully we can make it thru winter with fresh lettuce and carrots!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nacho, don't forget to carefully separate the garlic cloves. Each one of those little units grows into a bulb full of them. One bulb should have a lot of small cloves in it.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Will do Marshall!!

I'm just kinda amazed that you can plant garlic in the fall... it will winter over and start growing again in the spring!! That's just SO crazy to me! LOL

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just make sure it has a chance to get a root system before growth slows or stops in winter. I think you have a southern zone...

edited to add,
I think territorial seed has a guide for fall planting, and something about garlic on their website. they used to

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
So... I know it's SUPER DUPER late in the season... but yesterday I planted a bunch of lettuce... and today after church I'm going to put in some carrots, cabbage, garlic, and possibly onions. Garlic is SUPPOSED to be planted in the fall, correct?? I can just take the garlic from my fridge (which is organic I believe) and stick it in the ground?? Is that how that works? LOL

We're planning on getting some PVC pipe and some plastic and covering it when frost threatens and hopefully we can make it thru winter with fresh lettuce and carrots!
Hey! I used to live where you live. I still have family there in Jacksonville. I'm about to plant garlic also. It grows pretty well in the desert of CA.

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Store bought garlic does grow! We had a head or two that was starting to sprout so I took 'em out and just walked around the yard sticking a clove in here and there and we now have garlic all over the place! I figured it would either grow or rot and enrich the soil, LOL. Not sure when to pick it though...it all bloomed very prettily this year. I also have no idea how to dry/store it. Any advice on that would be most appreciated :)

We're about to move our chickens onto the garden area for the winter. We got a hard frost night before last, so everything that was in there is now done. At present, it's mostly full of weeds and rabbit poo, so I figure we can let the "girls" work it over for us so it'll be ready to go come spring.

DH is planning a cold frame this year. Our back yard is all southern exposure and I'm thinking if we put it up next to the house we should be able to have chard, spinach and other nice greens for ourselves and the chickens most of the winter, unless we get a bad one.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well... I did get 10 bulbs in the ground... we're still 2-3 weeks away from the average first frost... that should be enough time, eh? :fl

I'm sure the Jacksonville that you knew desertwillow is all but a distant memory! They're building so many new houses around here that it's sickening!! They're doing a draw down of troops and so all those brand new houses are either going to sit empty, or the older ones are going to. There are 3 houses on my street that are empty to either PCS or abandonment, and 3 that are for sale, and 1 for rent. All of the houses on my street are modulars on permanent foundations surrounded by "new homes" that are all stick-built homes. They just keep building building building!!

Hubs is on blood thinners so he told me I wasn't allowed to grow any spinach... he loves it.. but it has way too much vitamin K in it for him to eat. :hit I like it fresh in a salad! I told him that we could just make an entire meal out of the stuff that I only like certain ways... fresh spinach, deep fried liver with marinara, and milk in frozen glasses (I like milk any way but warm... but it sounded good... LOL) He said "Sounds disgusting!" and winked. LOL

I guess we will see here in a week or so if my lettuce, carrots, and garlic want to play this fall. I seriously need a harvest here!! Last year it was hot and no rain, this year it was SUPER hot and LOTS of rain... so I haven't really gotten much out of my garden since I started!! I just keep coming back for more punishment I guess... :lol:

Latest posts