What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Eggplant!

And, Kohlrabi!!

Now, that's an odd combination. The kohlrabi could have been out at least a month ago . . . kinda forgot it. Anyway, made up with lots of little plants!

The eggplants were muttering to themselves! I think it was about tripping me up when they get a chance and strangling me right there on the garden path. Yep, they hate me for setting them out when it is so chilly! The WS has backed away from their 39F forecast for Monday morning but those eggplants are going to have it tuff, if it doesn't warm up. I figure that they may choose to just curl up and die - if they can't get me down in the path first!

Steve

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
600 bed ft of Butternut
1200 bed feet of delicata
400 strawberries
50 raspberries
50 zuchinni
400 bed ft of broccoli
400 bed ft juicing carrots
200 bed ft bunching carrots
800 bed feet white beets
200 bed feet peppers

Off to rig irrigation for all these babies....
:D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha!

Well, let me add something that is of a gardening nature: Last week I planted bean seeds after taking out the peas.

That is my usual rotation and I use July 15th as a deadline (used to use July 31st but a few early autumn frosts discouraged me ;)). Those peas did real well and the beans will be along shortly. They will join beans that were sown where I had bok choy, transplanted out from the greenhouse. Those have just popped up and look great! They are right beside the pole beans that went into the garden at an earlier moment.

I don't get in too much of a hurry with the bush beans any more. There are so many beans around here late in the season, I have relegated most of them to a 2nd crop status. They work so well for that - germinating and growing during some very hot weather.

Steve

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yes yes, back to gardening. I put in more zucchini and patty pan squash and then filled the rest of that bed with radishes, maybe the squash bugs won't notice these...:hide
I also planted some bell peppers, beets, started more tomato seedlings for a fall crop, tucked a few cucumber seeds in amongst the garlic (since it didn't bulb at all it can at least deter bugs for me), started a new batch of winter squash (did I mention the bugs?), put some more cilantro seeds in the herb garden, took some mint cuttings to put in a persistently bare spot near my front door, and pruned some tomatoes that had been devastated by horn worms. Then we got 2 wonderful, fantastic inches of rain! :bun

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted a second bush bean crop, right before the rain. Perfect timing! Have some broccoli started in the greenhouse for fall. Hoping by starting it in there, I will avoid some of the darn bugs! Still need to start some swiss chard. I could have sworn I planted some- but apparently not!

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Just got done planting beans, purple tomatillos, butternut squash, and cucumbers. I also thinned some tomato seedlings I have going on the back porch. Tonight I'll be pulling out the Romas to make room to transplant them to and direct seed some Black Krum, Cherokee Purple, and Rainbow tomatoes into the kids' raised beds.

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My garden is doing well this year. Since I live in the desert there is a problem with tomatoes and the heat. I tried two new kinds this year, Solar Fire and Heat Wave. Both are doing so well but are doing even better since I put shade over my raised beds. Everything is responding to the shade. I'm getting cucumbers, bell peppers and egg plant as well as carrots and beets. The cabbage is about finished. My green beans are climbing like crazy since they are under the shade and are full of blooms but not one green bean at all. The bees are on them so they're being pollinated. In my regular garden the okra is finished but I have summer squash, zucchini, butternut squash, pumpkin and watermelon. I even found a cantaloupe this morning. I fix a lot of squash and zucchini as you can guess but I make mostly zucchini bread from the extras what I don't give to neighbors. I just put in some more radishes and beets and the seed is coming up. We've had several days of 115-119 but thankfully it's cooled back down in the 90's and we may get a bit of rain from that hurricane that just broke up off Mexico. We dug up two 5 gal. buckets of potatoes Sunday. One was white and the other red.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bok choy!

Some seed went in the ground about a week ago. I am trying to follow the schedule that I had last year which is to sow more seed whenever the most-recent sowing emerges. I may be too early with this because it is so HOT. It may mean that the plants will not grow to any size but I saved lots of seed a couple years ago and those plants can go in the compost if they don't turn out well. Another sowing will be along soon and I should hit it right on several of them.

The seedlings will be a little too tight but bok choy transplants well . . . providing the timing is right.

I've grown other Asian greens in the fall. Komatsuna does fine but isn't a lot different from bok choy. Fun Jen does real well. Fun Jen is listed as a Chinese cabbage by some seed companies & as a bok choy by others. Really, it just tastes like a mild mustard green. A real, real mild mustard green in Maruba Santoh. It is considered a Chinese cabbage but doesn't grow a head. It makes a very nice salad green (& pretty). I've got to do a search of seed storage to see if I have still have some seed. It doesn't grow very quickly so the seed should go in now. Found it :) !

Choy Sum will be sumthing new to try this season ;). The plants don't really grow very large with spring sowings. I hope they like the fall better :cool:.

Steve

Latest posts