What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We get snow here maybe 4-5 times per winter. First one usually comes between Thanksgiving and the 2nd week of December.... but then again, the last few years, nothing about the weather has happened as it "usually" does. :(

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not planting anything. Not even ready to check out the catalogs.

Nope, I'm still hard at work on the land dispute. I have a 'conference' with the neighbors'? their attorney, and the judge on Dec. 9th. I also scheduled a consult with the attorney (I don't have representing me) next Tuesday to be sure my ducks are all in order.

I kept telling DH that the matter should be wrapped up by the end of the year. Seems to be pretty much on schedule to do so. Do you think the judge will understand not hiring an attorney and paying $8,000 to $10,000 an acre to keep my own land? It is certainly NOT because I think I can do it better! I have no idea how the court works in these matters. I expect the free attorney for the neighbors figured we'd not consider the cost worth the trouble. My consulting attorney -- at $150 an hour -- will be to insure I keep all the legal stuff in order and on time.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It sure sounds like you've prepared an excellent case to present to the judge. I'm betting he'll be very impressed and will rule favorably for your side. I hope he also stipulates restitution on your neighbors part, like a personal apology and also a published one to you and your husband for the lies they spread. At least.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
It sure sounds like you've prepared an excellent case to present to the judge. I'm betting he'll be very impressed and will rule favorably for your side. I hope he also stipulates restitution on your neighbors part, like a personal apology and also a published one to you and your husband for the lies they spread. At least.
I would also request for the neighbor to pay for attorney fees plus court costs. This often results in fewer suits being filed.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since I had already decided hiring an attorney was beyond my ability, I didn't ask for court or attorney fees in my response. These folks are getting free attorney services through GM so they have no interest in what the process costs. Beside, I doubt any judge would expect them to pay the whole amount of my attorney. $10,000 would have been more than I could afford and I'd be unlikely to get that much through the court for 15 feet of land (0.49 acres). Still, I suppose the judge could assess some damages to me.

They did request that I pay damages and court fees, but I really don't think the judge will assess them due to the vague wording of their suit. I still don't know what they expect to get and I know the neighbors have no idea still of what they are asking for.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, that I do. I have an appointment with an attorney tomorrow. Shouldn't come to more than $500 at the most for all the help by Court date. That I can handle either way. Since I didn't think I'd be using an attorney, I didn't ask for attorney's fees in my response to the court. While the judge can levy them for me, I don't think I can change my conditions if I win once the papers are filed.

Latest posts