What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks @baymule
That will be our next product in the line-up, as we just ordered some poison that you mix into water. I'm going to lock the chickens into the coop at night and put the poison in the heated dog dish overnight. I'll have to wash the dish out and put clean water for the chickens every morning until we see results. They do have a second water dish in the coop. It never occurred to me that the rats would use the dog dish to drink, but a friend who killed her rats this way assured me they do.

The hoop house will get more conventional products, since there is no electricity out there. I'm pretty sure that problem is just mice and moles, which I've found easier to tackle than rats! We shall see.....

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@buckabuka same here on rodentia. We have a pair of cats in both our chicken coops (they are quite large buildings) and a pair in the house. They can barely keep up, but they are all working. I've also had good luck with those flat glass top traps. I have too many pets to ever use poison.

My TPS potato seeds and landrace garlic seeds have sprouted, and I have just planted a flat of eggplant and peppers in the greenhouse.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The eggplants and peppers I sowed at the end of December are sprouting and many of the TPS potatoes are ready for potting up. Today I sowed a flat of various paste, cherry, and beefsteak tomatoes. I have another flat of slicers and novelty tomatoes to sow tomorrow.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@digitS' TPS seed is quite small (like tomatillo seed) and young TPS sprouts are a bit more fragile than tomato and peppers of similar age. For me they take a couple of potting ups to reach a size where I can safely transplant them into the garden. That's why I start them earlier than the other nightshades. Since they don't have a tuber from which to draw stored resources they require the same sort of care and vigilance you would give the other transplants.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Feb. 8 I planted radishes and spinach outside and covered it. I think it could go both ways that either I wait and then realize I wasted some time, or I wasted some seed by starting too early. Inside I started some kale, onions, Tom Thumb lettuce, bok choy, and cabbage.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I started cabbage, broccoli, kale and chard inside in some flats, with the hope of putting it outside about mid-March. I think I will go ahead and get those peas in the ground today, as it is supposed to be a fairly nice day. Gotta do something outside!

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I potted up the plants above that I had started, except the onions. I made 2 boxes outside for winter sowing and put kale, spinach, some flowers, thyme, cabbage, Swiss chard, bok choy. It is covered and in the sawhorse greenhouse. I started more onions and some collards today.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ordered seeds today and glad to have that done! My seeds I had already had been gotten into by a mouse and all packets were lost. Had to order all new.

This year I'm going to file my seed packets into a recipe box so I can stay more organized and use index cards to note how many and what time they were planted and where in the garden they are located.

I'm putting in a more permanent garden type this year and want to keep track of where I've planted perennial veggies and fruits as opposed to annuals. I'm also doing some SFG and companion planting, so keeping a "plot" of the garden as I plant it will help me keep watch on things of the same type that are scattered here and yon.

Will be starting tomatoes and a few other things inside. Other things will be directly seeded. Can't wait for this garden season!!!!

Kismet

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Six days a go I started celery inside (it's 4 degrees out with 3 feet of snow). The package said 14 to 21 days for germination. I put the two flats, in a plastic bag, on the top warming shelf of my wood stove where they stay about 77 degrees. Yesterday, I peeked and I have tiny seedlings all over. So exciting! I think I'll use the warming shelf for tomato seedlings, too, which I will start about the first week in March. I had a warming mat at one time, but it was pricey and failed after one year. I think I have the solution, although I can only start two flats at a time, because of space.