What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll be curious how the celery does for you, @Kismet . Your summer growing conditions might be about the same as mine - yours would have more humidity.

I tried celery years ago and failing kept me from trying again. I did venture into celeriac (celery root) growing and success there made me think that it must just be easier. Yep, nearing the time for that season-long game!

Steve

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm going to try celery for the first time this year also, though I know folks say it won't grow well here. It's just the cost of a packet of seeds, so I'm not out any investment to try.

I'm starting a BTE garden this year and I want to see just what will grow there over the next couple of years. I'll be planting many things I've never planted before, just to try it out. I have heavy clay, acidic soils here and can't grow many bulbs or root crops successfully and many other things don't do well either, but this method of gardening should start to change all of that.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am doing an experiment. I want to find the best potting soil for my tomatoes and peppers I will be starting in March. I have been using Miracle Gro and I just do not like it. I have 3 cups with Miracle Gro, each with a Cherokee Purple tomato seed, 3 of Black Gold, 3 of FoxFarm the ocean one, 3 with 1/3 each of my garden soil/screened compost/unscreened compost, all heated in the oven to 180 degrees for 30 minutes, 3 cups of uncooked 1/2 screened compost 1/2 unscreened compost, and 3 of FoxFarm 1/2 and screened cooked compost. I will see how they look when the come up and then transplant them deeper back into these cups.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am doing an experiment. I want to find the best potting soil for my tomatoes and peppers I will be starting in March. I have been using Miracle Gro and I just do not like it. I have 3 cups with Miracle Gro, each with a Cherokee Purple tomato seed, 3 of Black Gold, 3 of FoxFarm the ocean one, 3 with 1/3 each of my garden soil/screened compost/unscreened compost, all heated in the oven to 180 degrees for 30 minutes, 3 cups of uncooked 1/2 screened compost 1/2 unscreened compost, and 3 of FoxFarm 1/2 and screened cooked compost. I will see how they look when the come up and then transplant them deeper back into these cups.

What kind of problems are you having with the Miracle Gro soil? I use the small bags of sterile seed starting mix. I think it is a little overpriced at nearly $5 a small bag, but it is specific for that purpose and saves me from having to bake dirt. :) The Miracle Gro is very similar in that it has peat and perlite in it and is loose and fluffy, but really the seedlings don't need the nutrients and added fertilizer at that point. Your sterilized garden soil/compost should work well too. That soft black topsoil you can get from the forest is nice (also needs sterilized).

Kismet

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm going to try celery for the first time this year also, though I know folks say it won't grow well here. It's just the cost of a packet of seeds, so I'm not out any investment to try.

I'm starting a BTE garden this year and I want to see just what will grow there over the next couple of years. I'll be planting many things I've never planted before, just to try it out. I have heavy clay, acidic soils here and can't grow many bulbs or root crops successfully and many other things don't do well either, but this method of gardening should start to change all of that.

I have had good luck with celery (unless the groundhogs invade). There is always more than I can eat fresh, so I dry a lot and use it all year in soups and stews. I also put up a lot of soup in my pressure canner and use it when I make vegetable soup and chicken stock.
Excuse my ignorance, but what does BTE stand for? :confused:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kismet, I think Beekissed is referring to the Back to Eden method of gardening. There are a couple of threads on it in our forum.

Years ago we could buy celery plants in starter packs in my area. I don't remember when that stopped. I don't remember ever growing any to harvest size. But they were sure cute little plants!

I planted some pepper seeds and stuck them up high on a soffit. It only took them 8 days to emerge. They are now happily sharing the lighted grow table with starts of cabbage, broccoli, kale, Bright Lights Swiss chard and hollyhocks.

I may plant a very few tomato seeds around March 1st, but I think I will wait a couple of weeks for the rest of them.

Amazingly, the sweet potatoes I grew last year are just now starting to sprout a bit. They are in the basement in cardboard, covered with a tarp. I wonder if there is any difference In what size of potatoes grow, based on what size I use for starts? I have a lot of small potatoes; should I not use them for starting new slips?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
So Lucky, I use larger sweet potatoes for slips, but I'd think the genetics would be the same for the small as the large as long as those plants also produced larger potatoes. I don't know why the genetics would be any different. They should all be clones of the parent plant.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use Sunshine LC-1, which is what a lot of commercial growers use, for both seed starting and potting up starts. It is a soil-less mixture of peat, pearlite, and other things and comes in both large bags and bales. I know someone in NY that also uses it in a community garden program, so it must be available everywhere. Here are some of my tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, garlic, and cool season greens hardening off this morning, foggy and 54 degrees.

upload_2015-2-20_8-54-55.jpeg

Latest posts