What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What I've ordered for spring:

Pac choi
Paprika Supreme (a pepper)
Rosemary
Pennyroyal
Basil
Dill
Cilantro
Sage
Parsley
Feverfew
Lemon Balm
Catnip
Chamomile

All of the above is for my medicinal garden. I have had pictures and a description of a friend's medicinal garden for a few years now and plan to duplicate it. The pac choi isn't used for medicinal purposes, but I liked the looks of it and I needed one more thing in one of the 'quarters' of the garden. I've already started collecting large river rocks on the property to form the circle of this garden.

For veggies, I am going simple.

Super Sweet Yellow Corn
Cucumber
Pumpkin
Summer Squash
Two varieties of sunflower. Besides the fact that I love them, I plant them on the west side so that when summer temps get to boiling they provide some protection for the other veggies from the late afternoon sun.
Zinnias - Just for color
And Marigolds, marigolds, marigolds. I've always found them to be an excellent bug deterrent. As is the pennyroyal in the herb garden.

I'll buy my mater plants locally and a few rose bushes as well. I'm still debating on getting some kentucky wonder beans. The only place I can think to plant them would be growing up the side of the chicken coop and now that there will be a goat sharing the chicken's area, would be kind of an exercise in futility, don't you think?

sebrightlover

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What I have ordered through Territorial (MY father and I are combining our order to save on shipping. ) At least this is what I remember sending in an email to Dad! I might have left off the purslane or the sorrel and the pepper.

Sayamusume - soybeans BN053
Palla Rossa Special - radicchio MS481
Golden Purslane MS476
Sorrel MS472
Chilly Chili - Ornamental Pepper PP690
Cherry Belle - radish RD741
Night & Day - nasturtium (using as a vegetable) FL3000

And suggestions on these, how to grow, etc.

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Culantro is little more than a tasty weed really. as long as the climates right, the dang thing just keeps propagating, and pick a couple of leaves for a soup or rice, and watch it be back to size in two weeks time, quicker with good rainfall. Its also the main ingredient in sofrito. A greenish brown mush made of ground herbs and spices including onions and sweet peppers, that Puerto Ricans typically use in their cooking.

pidgeon peas, are a type of bean i think. they aren't like regular peas, they cook up brown.

They grow on a tall bush, and my people call them candules. We use them to make red rice. its usually accompanied by cooking ham or salchichon (i think its a type of salami). they also make for a heck of a soup when paired with garbanzo beans and some salted pigs feet.

Its not uncommon for the two to end up in the same meal.

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We planted potatoes, green cabbage, tulips and daffodils yesterday. We hope to plant raspberries this week, weather permitting (It's supposed to rain all week).

Mothergoat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you for the explanation, DBJay. MMMM sounds tasty. :p

Mothergoat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh, my. Coffee is the one thing I can't seem to do without, and doesn't grow anywhere near local to here.

jc12551

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It is a glorious day here. Shorts and t-shirt weather until the sun dips. I am heading out to plant more lettuce, snow got the last few straggling plants from November. I put Coleus in the seed starter. Gotta get those peppers started ASAP. Last frost is the end of March and I am itching to get going. I waited too late last year.

hcammack2

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am ordering or buying

Lettuce seeds
Herbs
Tomatoes (heritage, cherry,and pear)
cucumbers
Apple tree's
Eggplants
peppers (bell and hot)
Rassberrys (new canes to add to patch)