What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

cknmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I finally was able to plant! We have not had any freezing temps or snow for a week! DGD and I started early this morning, we got the whole garden done. Tomorrow we will bw planting herbs in pots for the deck.

We planted: three types of sweet peppers,two types of carrots,spinning gourds,chives,tomatillos,sweet basil,two types of okra, tam melon, broccoli, lavendar, sweet onoins, cucumbers, garden huckelberries, two types of radishes, butternut squash, three types of hot peppers, tomato, celery, hutterite beans, beets, cherry tomato, two types of corn, banana melon, crookneck squash, mustard greens, new zealand spinach, three types of lettuce, spinach, acorn squash!

We also planted marigolds around the outside.

Monica

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
All my veggies are planted. We're eating red potatoes, carrots, peas, and we have 2" fruits on the zucchini and yellow summer squash. All my tomatoes have fruit on them and I planted some cantaloupe and watermelon seedlings. Now I'm putting in flower plants like salvia and day lilies and penstemon and cactus that Have been too long in pots. I bought some yucca's at a plant sale and they and the cactus are going along the old stage coach trail that runs through the property. The iris are finished but the roses this year are out of this world. It's over 100 F now and will probably stay this way or go higher for the rest of the summer. Yuk! There is only one thing I hate worse than hot weather and that is wind which we get a lot of also.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Still planting, some things coming up. Corn is up, pumpkins are up in the larger patch. Broccoli and some potatoes are up. Garlic is up and onions are doing okay.

Still need to plant three rows of items before I can rest. Got the tomatoes suckered and mulched today, too early to tie them up.

Cut the clover in my pathways a little to allow the shorter white dutch clover to get sunlight and bloom.

The garden is slowly but surely looking like a garden. :)

dragonlaurel

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
:tools Planted a 2nd garden bed today.
Hungarian Wax peppers
Asparagus (Yard Long) beans-
Kentucky Wonder pole beans
Marigolds
cucumber- Wisconsin SMR 58 (pickles) and Armenian (slicers)
pumpkins- Small Sugar
squash- Table Queen Acorn and Waltham Butternut
bunching onions
Grand Rapids lettuce

It's late to be planting lettuce and onions here, but they will have shade from the bigger plants, so it might work okay. If I even get one bunch of the lettuce, that will pay for the seed packet and organic lettuce is expensive. We use those bunching onions so much too.

needed to clarify

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I spent most of yesterday puttering. Finding anything I could use as a container then filling and seeding it. I have maxed out my raised beds. I am actually pulling some things that are finished, my beets for instance. Then mulching and reseeding the area.

Yesterday I planted more carrots, fennel, onion sets, turnips, bell peppers and radishes. not sure what will take but it doesn't hurt to try.

My chickens have a new large play area and are contained so I am experimenting in the field. I made piles of mulch and manure directly on ground. Then seeded pumpkins and watermelon. Now I only have to fight off the gophers. It's so hard to see the hill side with nothing on it. I have to try and grow something. :tools

My tomatoes are not doing well this year. I originally planted 6 plants my neighbor gave me. They have brown spot from drying out and are not growing at all. I have 1 volunteer that is outshining all of them. So I seeded a few Roma's and heirlooms a couple weeks back. Maybe I will get some after all.

My peach tree dropped all of its fruit. They got mushy in a matter of days and the ants took over. I have no idea why.

Apricot is looking great. Huge fruit. The two nectarines I planted last year are covered in fruit. But I am not sure how they will turn out since this is the first go around.

My second year Avocado has about 100 pea size fruit on it. I cant wait till next fall. :clap

Have a productive day!!

gina

cknmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
DGD and I just finished planting our herbs in pots for the deck. We planted: Chives,oregano, thyme, sage, parsley, tarragon, cumin, basil, cilantro, dill, blue hyssop, feverfew, lavendar, lemon bee balm, lemon balm, chamomile. I am thinking of planting watermelon and pumpkin in the lower part of our property, DH just got irrigation down there, finally. But I am not sure about if the gophers and ground squirrels and cottontails and jacks will bother them. Any experiences out there with this?
Monica

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
On June 2nd I planted:

Artichoke
Celery
Purple & Green Broccoli
Cauliflower
Spinach (Malabar - Red Vine)
Red Basil
Par-Cel (celery flavored parsley type)
Calliope Eggplant
Lettuce

Carnations, Moonflowers and some Soapwart

Most have sprouted already today I noticed.. except the eggplant, artichoke, spinach and moonflowers

:)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Eggplant!

Dusky
AppleGreen
Long Green Thai
Beauty

And, basil under the plastic, in the tunnel!

Superbo Genovese
Genovese Compact
Italian Large Leaf
Thai Magic

That's it!

All the plants, except for a few fill-ins (or sneak-ins ;)), have been set out. There is room for a couple rows of corn. After that, succession plantings . . .

Steve :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
cknmom said:
. . . But I am not sure about if the gophers and ground squirrels and cottontails and jacks will bother them. Any experiences out there with this?
Monica
Monica, I'm curious about your elevation . . . You have talked about recent frost and snow but the okra and watermelon in your garden make me wonder how long the growing season is.

We don't have jack rabbits here but the cottontails can be real pests. Mostly, they are after the bean and pea seedlings.

Ground squirrels are probably about the same everywhere. They will eat EVERYTHING within about 30 yards of their burrows. Beyond that, maybe they get picky.

Steve

Edited to add: If they begin to set up residence, I bet the gophers will eat just about everything, as well.

Latest posts