What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Monday, I planted . . . soybeans!

Yes, I would have liked to had them sown 2 or 3 weeks ago but the cool weather discouraged me. I think they will mature a crop for edamame!

I had with me all 8 varieties of soybean that I grew in 'o9 but some hadn't performed especially well. Unfortunately, I got a little mixed up. I forgot the name of the 3rd choice to grow and planted "Sapporo Midor" because I liked the name :rolleyes:. It was a late maturing variety in my garden.

I got #1 GL 2216 right (for flavor, not name ;)) and #2 Bei right (for production).

I've gotta measure my rows! Last year, I divided a 35' row between those 8 soybeans, an adzuki, and a cowpea! This year, I'm making more of a commitment to #1, #2, and . . . uh, Sapporo Midor.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Well...I planted 30/100 of the Viginia Tobacco seeds I ordered last winter. Probably a little late, but it's a new crop for me. I put them into two containers that I had saved from grocery store strawberries. Found a new site--NO, I'm NOT disloyal, it's just that only Ron grew tobacco here :( --here it is:
http://www.howtogrowtobacco.com/
I put them in starter soil last Thursday, and I understand it takes about 3 to 14 days to germinate. The seeds were red and pretty easy to see. Hope I get some going. If not, then I've got flower seeds to go into THAT bed! :D

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted a few more tomatoes and some more peppers yesterday. Tomorrow I will be planting some flowers!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have finally finished planting up my 7 raised beds. I had a very late start because of the awful long freezing cold winter followed by rainstormsfor nearly 3 weeks. All my autumn-sown broad beans & garlic died or were eaten by my chickens during the big freeze.

Finally I manage to weed & add lots of my own compost (once that unfroze... :barnie I added lots of RockDust which I had bought in the fall (at a special,end of season , bargain price with free delivery...... :woot ). I started planting up about 3 weeks ago but could not put in a lot of plants because it had been so cold at night (still is colder than usual at this time of the year). Until a coupe of nights ago I was still taking plants indoors but now I have graduated to covering with fleece. It is a real pain but has paid off as I have tomatoes & peppers setting fruit...... and flowers coming on my squash etc.... :celebrate

So my fingers (& toes) are crossed for a decent harvest after last years disaster with the blight & the powdery mildew & the awful wet summer. I did have great peas & broad beans however.....so ii wasn't all bad! Oh even my corn came good in the fall.

So here's hoping we all get the harvest we deserve this year..!! :coolsun

:rose Hattie :rose

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tomorrow going to plant black eyed peas and some pole beans. Also going to transplant watermelon seedlings and the other melons.

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ok.. got my new "lot" disced again and I just started the following in cups & peat pots:

70 Sweet Corn - I planted 2 per cup and will transplant when they are just sprouted
9 sugar pumpkin/ pie pumpkins
8 salsa tomato vines (determinate)
5 large red cherry tomato
24 or so Black Beans, sown loosely in a flat
18 String-less Bush Green Beans
I have some pole beans for the corn, that I will start in about 2 weeks

AWESOME! It'll be pushing it on some of these things, but so long as we don't have an early frost, they should all do very well!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
No planting for me for a while. This is the time to kick back and enjoy the fruits of my labors. Veggies everywhere I look.
The paths I skipped so gaily down this Spring carrying my little basket of seeds (TRA LA) have now turned into deep jungle where one must tread carefully lest I break branches. It is well to be wary for one may encounter lions and tigers and bears (OH MY) at the next hidden turning. Killer squash vines lurk to tangle the unwary foot, tumbling one into the dark greenery, perhaps never to be heard from again. "Doctor Hoody I presume?"
6858_july_garden.jpg

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm finished gardening for now. I'm just sitting back and watching my garden grow. It is hot now in the high desert but taomatoes, potatoes, and summer squash are doing well. The zucchini and butternut are just now developing fruit. The green peas are finished and we have quite a few bags in the freezer. We had carrots also. I had to replant green beans as the pesky rabbits got the first batch before they even started growing good. I still maintain and deadhead roses to keep up the blooms but for now all I'm doing is watching things grow.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon, I planted the final sweet potato. These are a Japanese purple variety and they have been "babied" in the greenhouse for months.

Well, this one is the last of a handful that were in 8" pots and were moved out as they seemed to reach the full capacity of their little containers. Now, the little group have their chance in the open garden!!

The 1st few to go out have just sat there . . . We have only had something like 3 days when the thermometer was above 80F! All that is about to change! By Friday, the high temperature is projected to be 93! Novice sweet potato guy that I am, that sounds like good weather for them! We will have to see.

Warmth should also be good for the basil and more basil went into a bed that is shaded thru the afternoon. It is the most shaded location in my gardens. Usually I have a bed of basil somewhere and then plant more on last year's compost pile . . .

This year, I'm trying something different. I often bury compostables at the end of the growing season under about 8" to 10" of soil in a permanent bed. This "composting in place" may continue thru the winter with kitchen peelings IF I can get thru snow and frozen ground.

Last year, I "composted in place" after I harvest the potatoes -- just digging out the bed, carrying off the spuds, and burying compostables behind me. Now I have harvested some spring greens and composted in their place. Some of the ground has had a few weeks to settle. Several square feet, I dug out and refilled Saturday!! On top of it all has gone basil with onion sets in between!

We will have to see how well this works. Both crops like fertile soil and it was fertile to start with. There's lots of green material down 8" to 10". Both crops don't seem to develop very deep roots . . .

:hu

My gardens couldn't be much "fuller!" I've got new cucumbers and zucchini plants stuck in between my broccoli, which will be coming out soon. I've usually done that between the early cabbage plants but they are taking a bit longer and the broccoli has rushed to make buds. As they are harvested, those will soon be too small to mess with.

I've planted summer squash this late the last few years and tried cucumbers in 'o9. Tenderest, nicest cucumbers were the result! I don't have that particular Japanese variety this year but I've got about 6 different slicers! No doubt, I will be completely confused as to which is which by the time I've got cukes coming off the vines!

That'll be soon! There's already 4" zucchini out there! Some of the corn was "knee-high by the 4th of July." (I gotta say that I can hardly remember the corn having such a tuff time getting started :/.) Come on, Summer!

Steve
Edited to add: Today, I'll plant millet . . . !