What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

chickenboy8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We ain't planted anything yet, but are getting ready to till.

Urban-farmerette

Leafing Out
Reaction score
YEAH, first time here from byc, i love stuff like this!

I just direct seeded a bed with chinese cabbage, arugula, broccoli raab, scallions and beets...yum,

I used a new-to-me method that I read in steeve solomon's gardening west of the cascades, where you put down potting soil mix over the bed, make the furrows for the seed then press down to restore capillary, seed, then cover with a light handul of potting soil again...

it is supossed to give the seeds a better start since 1) the potting soil retains moisture better then the soil in the bed would reducing the need to water and rot the seeds, and 2) restors capillary in the soil that was destroyed when it was tilled, providing a better system for the seeds to germinate and grow into.

Anybody else do this?

we are in zone 8, or sunset 6, Willamette Valley in Portland, spring has really begun here!

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Yesterday I finished up the raised 2x8 planter box for the sq. ft. method and mixed some great soil with a bunch of finished garden waste / chicken litter compost. The wife bought 4 types of tomatoes that will be going into the ground in a day or two:

Asian Acclaim
Better Boy
Early Girl
Mama Mia

Today I took a bunch of old seeds (and I mean REALLY REALLY old) and put then in some moist paper towels to check them for germination. Check out this video I saw that helped quite a bit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To2DlJwErao

Oh, I also used one of those PH kits to check my levels. Hard to see anything through the dirty water (i.e. color change) but I think I'm at a ph of about 6.3

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I tilled my garden over a week ago and that's it. It's been cloudy, rainy and too wet to plant so I had to put my tomato and pepper plants in nursery pots until I can get them in the ground. If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll plant:

tomatoes:

Big Boy
Celebrity
and heirloom - cant remember the name
sweet 100's

eggplants
peppers
bunch of herbs

LisaJean

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I invested in my own tiller this year. I figure that I will use it enough, and my family can borrow it if they need to. I LOVE it. I can haul it out whenever I get the urge to plant.

I have all my stuff planted now. I have blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, bush cherries, one apple tree, asparagus, tomatoes, carrots, radishes, beets, shell peas, sugar snap peas, pole beans, cabbage, brussels sprouts, brocolli, spinach, lettuce, mesclun, squash, cucumbers, canteloupes, watermelons.

I also moved all my rosebushes from the back yard to the front, and they are thriving. I have six of them, all different colors.

I'm having a little trouble with things eating my plants. I hate to put out poison, though.

OCMG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi LisaJean,

I bought a tiller a few years ago and I love it! It sure beats digging the whole garden.

I found some "things" growing in my compost yesterday and dug it up, I cannot see what it is yet but I planted it.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just noticed this thread is over a year old!
Garden7RakingLeavesOuch.gif

I am going to plant tomorrow... some beans, before it gets too hot here. My sweet peas are still blooming but... we are in the high 80's here. My winter plantings of lettuce and spinach are going to seed. My newer plantings are still small enough to not be bitter. I planted onion sets a couple of weeks ago and they are coming up nicely.

This time of year makes me very happy!:weee

LisaJean

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I did some thinning today in my carrots and beets. I hate thinning. I know it's silly, but I hate having to make the decision that one plant gets to live and another has to die.

But here are some pics. My first radish.
l_aa66e7e00128f5d84f5ce4860ddbe5cb.jpg

And some little carrots I pulled out from around the mailbox.
l_1910fdfa812560e515ea21f5e986170b.jpg

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
LisaJean said:
I did some thinning today in my carrots and beets. I hate thinning. I know it's silly, but I hate having to make the decision that one plant gets to live and another has to die.
Those "baby veggies" go for really high prices in restaruants. You can cook them and serve them to your family without the high restaurant prices!! Tonight I had the best pickled beets my mother in law has ever made! They were very tiny beet thinnings, but they were so tender and good!!

Latest posts