What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
Do I need to drill holes in the bottom of shoes?! I want to plant my husbands old steal toe boots now... I was going to pitch them since the zippers are busted, but I'd love to put some decorative sweet potato vine in them instead!!! :cool:
No, ya don't really need to drill a hole just take a sturdy knife and twist a couple of drain holes at the area where the side meets the sole just above the sole. I usually put it just in front of the heel area.
Kinda like what I tried to point to here Not the toe. Of course some of these had cracks and holes in them already.

I hope you put a flower in there too :watering show us a photo when it's done :clap

:happy_flower Karan :D

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there! :frow

It's great we had rain overnight & it was a bit chilly early this morning but now it's blue skies & sunshine. I've been outside all morning filin the raised beds a bit more. I'm getting through my precious compost so fast. :celebrate But I do have the deep litter from my roos' coop still to go. All the fresh droppings are going into my manure-tea factory along with all the nettles & some elder leaves. I've been using the resulting liquid on all my transplants & they are doing very well. No sign of bugs or aphids on any veg, so far! :fl :fl I was expecting black-fly on the tops of the broad beans because there were some on a shrub nearby but no sign of them. I jetted water at the ones on the shrub as I do with the roses when they get green-fly. :sick

My hen has started hatching. Unfortunately the first chick was not right, minus a wing! :hit I had to put it out of it's misery -- I hate having to do that but as it was deformed the hen had pushed it out of the nest -- they know it won't make it!! SAD but NATURES WAY......!! So I thought I would take a break & have a bowl of soup while waiting for the next egg to zip. There are little holes in a couple that I could see; the hen is very pecky & wanted me out of there!

This afternoon I shall continue with the filling of the raised beds & the filling of the pots I want to use for my smaller varieties of tomatoes & the peppers. They are growing on nicely in the tiny portable greenhouse -- it has done a great job in bringing them on. The plants look very strong & sturdy.

Happy Gardening everybody! :tools :tools :tools

:rose Hattie :rose

unclejoe

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I planted the first 8 rows of corn yesterday. I'll be putting in 8 more next week and 8 more the following week. I have 12 plants in each row.
We're hoping this will be enough to have plenty to eat fresh, can and freeze enough to see us through the winter, and save enough for seed to start next years crop. :fl

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
unclejoe said:
I planted the first 8 rows of corn yesterday. I'll be putting in 8 more next week and 8 more the following week. I have 12 plants in each row.
We're hoping this will be enough to have plenty to eat fresh, can and freeze enough to see us through the winter, and save enough for seed to start next years crop. :fl
I hope you have way MORE then enough! That way you have some to share... maybe bring some over for a BBQ *wink* hehehehe

We had to replant some canteloupe yesterday... it has rained sooooooooo much, it killed my tiny sprouts from my last planting. I was bummed. :/

Also planted something special I thanked Karen for... there is a separate post for that! ;)

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
unclejoe said:
I hope you have way MORE then enough! That way you have some to share... maybe bring some over for a BBQ *wink* hehehehe

We had to replant some canteloupe yesterday... it has rained sooooooooo much, it killed my tiny sprouts from my last planting. I was bummed. :/

Also planted something special I thanked Karen for... there is a separate post for that! ;)
Ohhhh ..... :celebrate Photos when ya have them ready :thumbsup

:happy_flower Karan :D

southwind

Sprout
Reaction score
I am just getting my flower beds weeded! Then I will plant mostly annuals. I am trying to "summer fallow" beds to get rid of weeds before I do many perennials.

I have mainly gone to shrubs and bushes because I have many peacocks and they love to taste and/or eat anything at ground level!!! If they don't eat it they walk on it. They have very large feet!

Most of my vegetable have been planted but still want to add a few tomatoes and peppers. This has to be enclosed in fences with netting over the top. That still do not always stop the peacocks from getting in.

Now is nesting season and we have racoons getting into the nests of the peacocks and mallard ducks. The hens start getting very creative trying to out smart the coons. One poor hen is trying to lay on the roof, of course it slopes and the egg rolls off then she tries to figure where the egg went that she just laid!!!

Had a nice rain 5-25. 1 1/2 " We were in need of that.:)

The wheat is just finished heading and in someplaces it is starting to turn. Harvest will soon be here.

Southwind
Zone 5-6

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday evening, I planted 8 different varieties of soybeans and some adzuki beans and cowpeas.

Since it was all in 1 row about 35 feet long, this wasn't very much of each. However, these are all supposed to be early varieties and came from a friend who is very much in to this sort of thing. It is possible that we may eat some of these (DW knows how to make tofu) but I think we are just doing this as a trial. None of these are grown commercially anywhere within hundreds of miles from here.

If one or more of these do well, I'll collect as much seed as possible to plant in '10. Not sure where I could find any of this seed to purchase. Some of it is from farm seed outfits. Maybe I could buy it in 50 pound bags ;).

Besides the tofu for us, I'm thinking about feed for the laying hens.

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
cherokeechicken said:
planted 44 more tomatoes today . that makes 132 total. i think that will be enough.:barnie
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!

I hope you sell and jar your tomatoes?!?!

I keep thinking I over did it with 12 plants!? :lol:

Latest posts