What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I planted a few sunflowers, my garden is planted for now. Only other thing I may plant is some more green beans.
my sister is coming in August and wants to can some.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi there :frow

I'm going to be planting seeds of stuff for my autumn & winter garden, as well as for next spring -- both flowers & vegetables. I mean to have a mass of wallflowers next spring so I have to sow now -- I just love that heady perfume.

I have already got seedlings of various brassicas coming up in trays -- they shot out of the soil in a few days. Obviously this cooler, wet weather has been great for them: as it has for all the root vegetables I sowed last week in one of my double-sized raised beds. I have got great germination on my carrots -- much to my amazement (I don't have a good track record with carrots :( ). I've planted 3 different varieties "Touchon", "Rainbow"the mixed coloured ones & "Autumn King". I have also got another 3 varietis that I will plant later.

I also need to sow more chard of various varieties to see the chickens & myself through the winter. I have decided to have a whole lot of the rainbow selection in my front garden because they look so pretty & decorative.

I have decided that in the autumn I will make a really decent raised bed for aparagus so I sowed a pan of seeds a couple of days ago. If they don't look good I'll buy some plants.

Now I hope for some decent warm weather so my melons, squashes, cucumbers & tomatoes can get on with their jobs & produce me a decent harvest. I have flowers on the tomatoes & zucchini.so with luck they wont be long. It's looking pretty good so far ..................................:fl :fl :fl

HAPPY GARDENING EVERYONE! :tools :tools :tools

:rose Hattie :rose

cknmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I can't do any planting right now as puppies have taken over my garden. We have one left to find a home for and the two we are keeping. Until DH fixes the small openings in the pen or builds a run, they stay in my garden during the day and my laundry room at night.

We go on vacation soon, after we get back I will plant in trays, then transplant. Looks like another late garden here this year.
Monica

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Everything is coming up beautifully...tomatoes are just starting to set fruit which is really early for zone 3...thanks to my cold frame and blankets..... corn is growing and I hope the beans I planted in them doesnt out grow the stalks...I am watching the sweet potatoes.... dont know if they are going to make it I planted a dozen and only 6 servived but they aren't really doing anything...my peas just started to bloom...I am eating rhubarb and strawberries...my asparagas has gone by for this season...

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
this week i have a lot of more planting to do, its going to be nice and hot and sunny finally after a cool wet spring SUMMER is finally here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :weee :weee :ya

:coolsun :coolsun :coolsun :coolsun
:coolsun :coolsun :coolsun
:coolsun :coolsun
:coolsun

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am thinking of another round of sunflowers they last here so long I have a feeling we will be warm for a while longer ..so I want to have more :)

I am going to go to the store and just look at seeds see if there is something new to try

I am going to plant some lettuce under the shade of the sunflowers growing now and see how they do

more greens ..more beets....perhaps some kohlrabi since my mouth is watering from the thread in teh Canning/cooking section where folks are discussing it ..can not believe I did not think to plant it!

other than that ..second crop of beans now that the first crop is flowering

that is it for this week I think

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You guys have all been super busy. I hope more of you post photos of all these plantings and your gardens!!! ;)

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi there :frow

I've just put some more beans in -- just little bush beans as a change from my "runners"! I sowed another bowl of salad leaves ( I have been doing this every 10 days). This is a much better solution for me as one person doesn't need a huge amount! :D I always used to plant way too much. The bowls look very decorative -- they are a lovely shade of pale green. I am going to keep this up throughout next winter as well (inside of course).

Most of the seeds I've sown for autumn planting are up so they will be a good size to transplant in late August/early September. My dear oldest neighbour gave me some lovely small Savoy Cabbage plants. I shall tuck these into one of my slightly shaded beds. These will stand happily throughout our winters. I have other cabbages which I have sown so we will have plenty -- the chickens & I. We suffer badly from Cabbage White Butterflies sowing their b....y eggs on any brassicas -- I hate those caterpillers; so I will keep them covered in fleece until that season is over as I won't spray chemicals as my neighbour does. He thinks I'm an amiable fool! :rolleyes:

I have been taking various cuttings from my roses & other plants because I am determined To tame my front garden & get rid of the lawn. I am allergic to freshly cut grass -- it actually stings my hands if I pick it up when freshly cut. I now wear gloves all the time while gardening as I use grass to mulch. I spread it out to dry a bit before going near it. I am determined to put in a whole lot of my own cuttings from the roses in the back garden. plus a lot more perennials & bulbs. I intend to put a lot of wallflowers in for next Spring so I am sowing those tomorrow -- I'll put in some For-get-me-nots too as I love those mixed with Tulips & wallflowers. It is going to be a long task to get the front looking good. We get a lot of wind-blown weeds from the wide verges along the road . :barnie

:rose Hattie :rose

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hattie, would you be comfortable with Bt spray. It seems really odd to be spreading caterpillar disease in the garden but . . . it does kill 'em, supposedly with no threat to our health.

Few cabbage butterflies around here this year. Just lots of huge swallowtails :).

With all the bok choy and other Asian greens I've had so far this season, it seemed a little incredible that I was sowing a few more feet of baby bok choy again today. Earlier plantings will run down soon and I've just discovered that one green (senposai) that I was hoping to keep going thru much of summer by picking the flower buds only, was harvested as entire plants and eaten last week.
:th

The location for the new bok choy is just about the shadiest part of my gardens. It may be too shady and it certainly may be too late. After weeks of cool weather and rain, today has turned hot and windy.

Reseeding the carrot seed in cornstarch gel appears to have worked well again. Now, I've just got to get in there and get the weeds out. Kind of a double whammy how if some desirable plant doesn't do well - the darn weeds take it upon themselves to overrun the area :rant.

Steve